Looking for some advice on what wheels to buy for a Genesis Equilibrium 853

I have a 2014 Genesis Equilibrium 853 that currently has Alex Rims Race 18s fitted. I'm looking to buy a new wheelset for up to or around £400, what would you recommend?

Rim brakes

Cheers

Simon

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Why?
    left the forum March 2023
  • s1mples
    s1mples Posts: 63
    Good question! I'm pretty sure they are a pretty basic set of wheels but can't find any info on them. They are now 8 years old, seen plenty of miles and starting to think that the brake surface may be wearing a bit by now.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Obermayers

Sortef
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • s1mples
    Thanks!
  • ugo.santalucia
    Depends if you want a replacement or an upgrade. If you just want some non worn out wheels, then buy another basic set.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    No. Obermayers. End of.

They will do everything he wants, all parts replaceable when they wear and will stay true out if the box.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • There are a number of wheel builders, many of whom are referenced on various threads on the forum. Any one of them could build you something decent for your budget.

If you wanted to go down the factory route then the obvious choices like Mavic Ksyriums, campag Zonda etc. will all be good wheelsets that should meet your needs and come in at your budget. A fair few forum members have also got on well with the Prime wheels from Wiggle.

I have a pair of mavic ksyrium pro which I paid about £350 for in 2019 (they are about £600 rrp now, but I have seen them much cheaper). They have been a great wheelset and to be honest I cannot tell any difference between these and wheelsets I paid two or three times as much for.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    These from Malcolm at Cycleclinic would meet you needs. Within your budget and fully serviceable when needed

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-rim-brake-wheelsets/products/handbuilt-borg22-tubeless-compatible-clincher-wheelset

I have a similar set on Archetype rims built by Malcolm about 4 years ago and I can thoroughly recommend them.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-rim-brake-wheelsets/products/h-plus-son-archtype-miche-primato-wheelset-black
  • mr.b-campag
    mr.b-campag Posts: 392
    edited May 2022
    These are a good bargain I think, was trying to justify buying some myself when I saw the price:

https://www.cerowheels.com/wheels/cero-ar30-evo-wheelset-2053.html
  • s1mples
    Thanks for the responses. I'm quite liking the sound of those Borg22's. The Wiggle Prime review well (road. cc) too but will be bigger consideration due to pricing. Thanks again.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I've got a pair of Giant PR2 to flog, from my wife's Liv bike, they've done less than a 1000 miles for sure and never used in the wet (god forbids!), in case you just need a cheap replacement of worn out hoops