Zwift pulling its horns in

"Zwift has announced a round of staff layoffs as well as the “pausing” of its smart bike hardware plans, that were announced just a few months ago.

While the numbers of employees affected haven’t been released, the current economic climate is stated as the primary reason behind the online training giant’s decision. "

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/zwift-to-pause-launch-of-smart-bike-alongside-staff-lay-offs

Not surprising really now we are allowed out again and summer's on its way. I'm very grateful to Zwift for enabling me to stay fit when club runs etc were stopped. I will keep up my subs at the current level - it's quite nice to escape from traffic and potholes if I want.

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Yeah not surprising, although they were going hard on recruiting a while ago.
    I almost applied for one of the jobs, so glad I didn't now!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    Interesting, especially when combined with Wahoo absorbing RGT.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Market contraction, innit.

Same happened with Peloton, same will happen with the others.

I'm keeping my subs going as normal as its just handy/easy to have: 30 mins spare, just Zwift and spin legs, avoid chores.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    This was not really anything to do with the core Zwift offering. They were trying to move into the wartbike/peloton space.

You'd have to say that shows they don't really understand their core market is roadies wanting to train in shit weather.

If anything they should be looking at smart trainers and the kit that simulates riding outside, but even that's a crowded space.

And making stuff is a whole different enterprise to software development, anyway.
  • Smart bike has made the market now... features heavily in their current ad campaign.