Giro 2022 - Stage 4: Avola – Etna 170 km ***Spoilers***

124»

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754

Lopez and kamna will have another go for a stage ... Who's in the mountains jersey kamna?

Yes, and MVDP in points jersey tomorrow. Vansevenant will wear white (as Lopez is leading that).
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790

Lol Kelly on the call "correct me but do ineos have the jersey? They're riding like they do. They've spent a lot of energy and made a big show of strength for no gain"

Have to agree with him ...pretty pointless ... I guess you get a better idea of where everyone is
    Oh I don't know.
    At least we won't have any more miserable Tom Dumoulin interviews.
    Some suggestion Ineos wanted to put pressure on Yates following his knee problems earlier on in the day.
    Maybe
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Tom D may ride in a bit
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700

Tom D may ride in a bit

He needs to ride in a lot. He lost 9 minutes today.
    Jumbo started the stage with three leaders and finished the stage with none.
    Foss and Oomen also lost 4 minutes a piece.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors

Tom D may ride in a bit

He needs to ride in a lot. He lost 9 minutes today.
    Jumbo started the stage with three leaders and finished the stage with none.
    Foss and Oomen also lost 4 minutes a piece.

Thinking a stage at the back end of the race
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Maybe Ineos feel that they have to keep the pressure up because their strength is in having the better team compared to Yates. Maybe they feel that the higher workload will catch up faster with Yates' teammates than with themselves.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • blazing_saddles
    After all the debate yesterday evening, I am glad my favourites for the stage list included Lennard Kämna and Rein Taaramäe. Although a couple of extra stars wouldn't have gone amiss.
  • mididoctors
    m.r.m. said:

Maybe Ineos feel that they have to keep the pressure up because their strength is in having the better team compared to Yates. Maybe they feel that the higher workload will catch up faster with Yates' teammates than with themselves.

Poor operational implementation of that stratergy .. did way too much work.on in the flat . They could of let an extra 2 to 3 mins go and arrive on the climb with a few extra riders to drive hard
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    I agree. Was just trying to think out loud what they might be thinking. I don't really understand why they wouldn't send Castroviejo (and plan for him to have lost enough time before stage 4) with the break and then only push the pace if needed. Would shift responsibility to Yates' team and tire them out more efficiently than riding on the front yourself and pushing the pace.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I think dropping the former winner and ending the hopes of the second most successful GT team of recent years wasnt an insignificant achievement.

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    edited May 2022
    Possibly doing a disservice to López, Kämna and Taaramäe, but GC gaps to Yates after stage 4. I'm guessing that the eventual winner will come from the 17 strong group led in by Carapaz which is why I've struck through Vansevenant and Pozzovivo.

Must admit, I had to look up Buitrago , although he has been in races I've watched.
    1. YATES Simon Team BikeExchange - Jayco
      VANSEVENANT Mauri Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl Team +5
    2. KELDERMAN Wilco BORA - hansgrohe +13
    3. BILBAO Pello Bahrain - Victorious +18
    4. ALMEIDA João UAE Team Emirates ,,
    5. PORTE Richie INEOS Grenadiers +22
    6. BARDET Romain Team DSM +24
    7. CARAPAZ Richard INEOS Grenadiers ,,
    8. LANDA Mikel Bahrain - Victorious +33
    9. ARENSMAN Thymen Team DSM ,,
    10. HINDLEY Jai BORA - hansgrohe + 34
    11. BUITRAGO Santiago Bahrain - Victorious +36
    12. CARTHY Hugh EF Education-EasyPost +38
    13. VALVERDE Alejandro Movistar Team +41
    14. HAMILTON Lucas Team BikeExchange - Jayco +45
    15. CICCONE Giulio Trek - Segafredo +50
      POZZOVIVO Domenico Intermarché - Wanty - Gobert Matériaux +55
    16. BUCHMANN Emanuel BORA - hansgrohe +57
    17. SOSA Iván Ramiro Movistar Team +1.23
  • poweredbyidris
    poweredbyidris Posts: 848
    edited May 2022
    Mad_Malx said:

The whoop bands they're plugging are £27/month subscription.

All to tell you your heartrate and whether you’ve had a tough day, from what I can gather

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,808
    Got strong vibes that Bilbao could easily make the podium a la Zubeldia, although that would defeat the object of a la Zubeldia
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825
    I guess that the teams have done the maths but neither Lopez nor 'Lennie' Kamna seem like characters to give too much time away to. Could either of them podium 'a la Jaskula'?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • blazing_saddles
    Rob Hatch desperately trying to breathe life into the stage by plugging cross tailwinds after the climb. Fat chance.

• mididoctors

I guess that the teams have done the maths but neither Lopez nor 'Lennie' Kamna seem like characters to give too much time away to. Could either of them podium 'a la Jaskula'?

No one can podium A la jaskula . The only rider to wheel suck an invisible rider to the podium of a gt
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445

No one can podium A la jaskula . The only rider to wheel suck an invisible rider to the podium of a gt
    Bit harsh, he did win a stage after all.
  • mididoctors
    andyp said:

Bit harsh, he did win a stage after all.
    I was bigging him up !