Titanium Advice/Thoughts

The weight of Alu and Ti frames are about the same. There seem to be more reports of ti cracking. Dolan and Sonder do Alu and ti frames with the same geometry. Is ti worth it?

Comments

• joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    Lots of Ti frames are covered by a "lifetime" (normally ~10 years or so, sometimes longer) warranty that should cover any cracks from manufacturing defects. I have had 2 titanium bikes, both from Planet X. The first (about 10 years old) I passed on to my brother and the second I've only had a couple of months but both have been lovely. Though not sure if that is down to the titanium or not.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    They tend to get rave reviews but having tried one recently I was underwhelmed to say the least. Perhaps I expected too much but just didn't feel anything special and no difference to my aluminum bike. But like I say, many people rave about them.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,961
    All alu frames crack eventually, if you ride them enough. It's a fundamental property of the material.

You are getting confirmation bias about titanium because people pay more for a ti frame and are more upset when one breaks.

Decent ti frame should be 1200-1500g. There's overlap with alu for sure, but if all out frame weight is a concern you shouldn't be looking at either of them.