friday investigating ring-chunk duality

'ning

milder start

ride and cafes, smidge of wfh, lazing
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,902
    Walk hounds, then drop the van off for a mot, run back and enjoy work.

    Later is pick up van and potentially the local TT though it might rain, I haven’t riden it for circa 9 mth, it’s meant to be a rest day and I fancy the pub early doors (it’s a given I’m going later)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,564
    Frikkin soggy.
    Wrong weather to be filling a skip.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,652
    sunny and mild, left off the warmers and baselayer, kept the gilet though

    definite bask if it stays like this
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,564
    tlw1 said:

    Walk hounds, then drop the van off for a mot, run back and enjoy work.

    Later is pick up van and potentially the local TT though it might rain, I haven’t riden it for circa 9 mth, it’s meant to be a rest day and I fancy the pub early doors (it’s a given I’m going later)

    50 mile hilly TT? (lol)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,073
    Hellabusy, gym later followed by decking.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    Got up early to take mini swimming.

    Decided to bleed my front brake, as the lever was frequently fouling the handlebar on heavy braking. Seemed to go ok, got quite a bit of air out, and it now performs as it should. Sanded down the pads, cleaned the discs, bedded it all in. Cleaned the chain, changed my back tyre. One thing though - I noticed that one of the pistons on the front brake is very sticky - I eventually got it to fully extend by holding the other one in place, and cleaned it with a cotton bud and IP alc. It's still sticky though - doesn't move in and out as easily as the other one does. New bike? I don't feel I want to put anything slippery on the piston, though I don't see how it would get through to the pad surface

    It might finally be time to get back on the bike. So if any SW Londoners see a fat man on the verge of a cardiac arrest, please give him a wide berth.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,184
    pinno said:

    tlw1 said:

    Walk hounds, then drop the van off for a mot, run back and enjoy work.

    Later is pick up van and potentially the local TT though it might rain, I haven’t riden it for circa 9 mth, it’s meant to be a rest day and I fancy the pub early doors (it’s a given I’m going later)

    50 mile hilly TT? (lol)
    It's only 9.9 miles but there's a pub at the start/finish and another at the 3/6 mile points.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,902
    thistle_ said:

    pinno said:

    tlw1 said:

    Walk hounds, then drop the van off for a mot, run back and enjoy work.

    Later is pick up van and potentially the local TT though it might rain, I haven’t riden it for circa 9 mth, it’s meant to be a rest day and I fancy the pub early doors (it’s a given I’m going later)

    50 mile hilly TT? (lol)
    It's only 9.9 miles but there's a pub at the start/finish and another at the 3/6 mile points.
    Hence why I’m probably doing it. You playing?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,968
    Morning All,

    Glorious sunny day in the Shires, have just taken some can of cold fizzy pop up to the blokes working on the decking. Busy weekend ahead - more self assembly furniture to piece together, loads of garden stuff to the tip, meeting our prospective Ukrainian guest tomorrow then one more bike ride on Sunday and if the leg still hurts after that I'll be leaning on my BUPA policy again.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,184
    tlw1 said:

    thistle_ said:

    pinno said:

    tlw1 said:

    Walk hounds, then drop the van off for a mot, run back and enjoy work.

    Later is pick up van and potentially the local TT though it might rain, I haven’t riden it for circa 9 mth, it’s meant to be a rest day and I fancy the pub early doors (it’s a given I’m going later)

    50 mile hilly TT? (lol)
    It's only 9.9 miles but there's a pub at the start/finish and another at the 3/6 mile points.
    Hence why I’m probably doing it. You playing?
    Probably not, looks like it will be wet and I've not got stuff with me so would have to sit in the traffic jam twice to get there :neutral:

    I've been roped in to helping with the Dairi Pak tomorrow morning so probably best if I'm not out tonight as well :sleeping: Guess you're not doing that one?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,564

    Got up early to take mini swimming.

    Decided to bleed my front brake, as the lever was frequently fouling the handlebar on heavy braking. Seemed to go ok, got quite a bit of air out, and it now performs as it should. Sanded down the pads, cleaned the discs, bedded it all in. Cleaned the chain, changed my back tyre. One thing though - I noticed that one of the pistons on the front brake is very sticky - I eventually got it to fully extend by holding the other one in place, and cleaned it with a cotton bud and IP alc. It's still sticky though - doesn't move in and out as easily as the other one does. New bike? I don't feel I want to put anything slippery on the piston, though I don't see how it would get through to the pad surface

    It might finally be time to get back on the bike. So if any SW Londoners see a fat man on the verge of a cardiac arrest, please give him a wide berth.

    Remove the calliper from the bike; leaving lying flat so the de blocker reaches the parts only Heineken could. Use a small amount of de-blocker. Allow to rest for 24hrs. Clean excess off. Should be fine. Lack of use means it's sticky.

    The dog's danglies. There are others. VN could probably provide.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275167652706?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:1URCDQEg_Tg6yIbs3zF_eDQ39&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=275167652706&targetid=&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045226&poi=&campaignid=16781080297&mkgroupid=&rlsatarget=&abcId=9300844&merchantid=7397844&gclid=CjwKCAjwjtOTBhAvEiwASG4bCCjCwgsYktwhbwn3rfexsRIBBCyDGEgN9q1ifQz-iq6Cnat8sbym4RoCv_oQAvD_BwE
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,435
    Afternoon folks,
    Busy day of wfh here, but nice to be home at least. Just wandered round to the quacks to get my blood pressure tested, it was on the high end of normal, as is my BMI. This seems odd as BP was lower than that the last time they took it and I thought the statins they'd put me on would reduce it if anything.
    Got a few meetings planned for this afternoon, I need my scorecard for bullshitbingo first.


    Decided to bleed my front brake, as the lever was frequently fouling the handlebar on heavy braking.

    I was worried when I read the above ;-) glad it seemed to go well. The piston shouldn't have rusted as they should be stainless or some other non-rusting material. Ceramic sometimes. As Pinno says only a tiny bit of whatever lubricant you use. A bit of brake fluid on a cotton bud would do the job and you can be sure it won't affect the seals if it's the same stuff as is in the brake. The key is to only use a tiny amount so there is no residue to attract dirt. Working it a few times once it's been cleaned should do the job. By all means pop round with it, should be around over most of the weekend.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,805
    And back in from a sunny and increasingly warm day repairing deer fencing in Neptune Wood. Putting in replacement 3m posts by hand, dig, insert, bang repeatedly, staple; green-gym with style. Keeps or not the thieving muntjac out.

    Definitely cold beer time.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,902
    thistle_ said:

    tlw1 said:

    thistle_ said:

    pinno said:

    tlw1 said:

    Walk hounds, then drop the van off for a mot, run back and enjoy work.

    Later is pick up van and potentially the local TT though it might rain, I haven’t riden it for circa 9 mth, it’s meant to be a rest day and I fancy the pub early doors (it’s a given I’m going later)

    50 mile hilly TT? (lol)
    It's only 9.9 miles but there's a pub at the start/finish and another at the 3/6 mile points.
    Hence why I’m probably doing it. You playing?
    Probably not, looks like it will be wet and I've not got stuff with me so would have to sit in the traffic jam twice to get there :neutral:

    I've been roped in to helping with the Dairi Pak tomorrow morning so probably best if I'm not out tonight as well :sleeping: Guess you're not doing that one?
    New tyres won’t be here in time 😢
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,184
    orraloon said:

    And back in from a sunny and increasingly warm day repairing deer fencing in Neptune Wood. Putting in replacement 3m posts by hand, dig, insert, bang repeatedly, staple; green-gym with style. Keeps or not the thieving muntjac out.

    Hope the price you charged wasn't too dear.