Can you get great value 26' wheels, given most people ride 29' these days?

tjw_78
tjw_78 Posts: 41
I've not really ridden MTB since before my kids were born. With such limited cycling time available to me when the kids were little it was too much faff to get the MTB on the car when I could ride the road bike from the front door.
Anyway, kids are now a little bit older and have started racing their bikes, so I entered an MTB race with them last weekend and had a whole load of fun, riding my 2010 Spesh Rockhopper SL, even though I'm pretty sure I was the only person at the whole race not on 29' wheels. I was very near the back (but not last!)
No way I'm going to go and buy a new MTB just for the odd race, but I did wonder if there was old stock of great 26' wheels lying around somewhere, for sale, that no one wanted and hence was amazing value.
Any ideas?

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    edited May 2022
    The great 26 inch wheel sale was back 4 or 5 years ago.

There are still cheap build wheels. Not seen any great 26 wheels cheap for years.

edit. bike discount.de did still do a selection. Not sure how well stocked they are.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/bike/bike-parts/mountain-bike-parts/wheels-mtb/wheel-26/
  • tjw_78
    tjw_78 Posts: 41
    Thanks, wondered if that might have been the case.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You may find so lower usage decent 26" wheels used on the cheap, ebay, pinkbike, STW, FB market place etc.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,153
    Is there something up with your existing wheels that means you need to replace them?
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Just Google it and see what comes back.