Carbon frame

So I'm in the middle of what is becoming a very drawn out and difficult claim following being knocked off my bike last year and whilst I have another bike, which was my training bike, I'm now considering getting another to use as a best bike through the summer. I'm kind of loathed to spend too much though, given the insurance battle, but think a nice summer bike would make a world of difference at the moment and help me through a few things.

So I'm keeping an eye on the usual places for used bikes but I have quite a few spare parts which i seem to have gathered over the last few years and essentially make a groupset, so I'm also considering getting a frameset and build it up. However, I haven't found many places in the UK where there are any at a reasonable price. The likes of ribble, which used to be a good place to look don't seem to sell frames only, and other places are just asking far more than I wanted to pay (under 1k ideally). Over the weekend I've been looking at ordering from the far East, but with the current state of affairs (which have pushed up just about every price in the cycling industry) it seems that there could be quite a wait for delivery, not to mention duties/ taxes.

So just wondering if anyone has any recommendations? Seen any bargain framesets in the uk?

Cheers

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    edited May 2022
    Edit, just spotted where ribble are hiding the listings.

Other recommendations welcome though. Cheers
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Planet X
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 160
    Many of the good Chinese brands have Europe distribution. For example Winspace, so might be worth checking them out.
    https://www.winspace.cc/authorized-dealers
  • MattFalle
    redvision said:

Edit, just spotted where ribble are hiding the listings.

Other recommendations welcome though. Cheers

can you pop a link up whrn you have a mo' please - can only find stupid expensive stuff.
  • redvision
    edited May 2022
    MattFalle said:

Planet X

Cheers for suggestion. Have looked there but ideally wanted one with rim brakes and the only one in stock is not available in my size (medium).

Link to ribble frames is here
    https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/components/frames-forks/frames/?p=2
    According to the email the sent me, these are all they offer now.

@pmark - have looked at winspace but very little in stock in rim brake frames. They've told me the stock change on a daily basis so will keep looking though.
  • MattFalle
    redvision said:

MattFalle said:

Planet X

Cheers for suggestion. Have looked there but ideally wanted one with rim brakes and the only one in stock is not available in my size (medium).

Link to ribble frames is here
    https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/components/frames-forks/frames/?p=2
    According to the email the sent me, these are all they offer now.

@pmark - have looked at winspace but very little in stock in rim brake frames. They've told me the stock change on a daily basis so will keep looking though.
    grazie! yup, thats the same as I found - not exactly the Ribble of old!

Dolan maybe or Boardman? People like Paul's Cycles and the such like used to fo good desls as eell.

Tbh though, try R&A cycles clearance section - some decrnt desls are sometimes in there
  • MattFalle
  • redvision
    Cheers MF. Will take a look. The basso frames have drawn my eyes but far more than I wanted to spend. Beautiful though!

Prices are just absurd on some sites. Looked at one at lunch which had a frameset priced just £200 cheaper than buying the full bike, equipped with 105. Just crazy!

• MattFalle
    redvision said:

Cheers MF. Will take a look. The basso frames have drawn my eyes but far more than I wanted to spend. Beautiful though!

Prices are just absurd on some sites. Looked at one at lunch which had a frameset priced just £200 cheaper than buying the full bike, equipped with 105. Just crazy!

no worries - pleasure to help any time.

Tbf, you can't take it with you and you may as well treat yourself - the claim could go on for years and if you buy something middle of the road its nether here nor there and a wedge of cash chewed up for something that isn't going to scratch the itch.
    You're not going to love it and it won't get you motivated again...

I'd just go for it if I were you and get the Basso, when the insurance money comes down it pays for itself.

Essentially Lucy Worsley is available to you and you're looking at Nadine Dorres.

carpe diem my man, carpe diem...... buy the Basso.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Have scan through the offerings at Paul Milnes Cycles in Bradford. Genuine cycle shop who also sell through Ebay. I've sourced a couple of frames from them in the past and can recommend them.

https://www.paulmilnescycles.com/road-frames-160-c.asp

There are several rim braked carbon frames on offer in the link above. However you'd need to check out the sizes available to see if any are of interest.

Just as an example the have a Ridley Fenix SL Rim Braked frame in Medium (56cm TT) priced at £1299

https://www.paulmilnescycles.com/road-frames-160-c.asp.

They do have some sub £1k frames if you check through the listings
  • MattFalle
    Those Merckxs are just gorgeous!
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Buy a Ridley? - Yes, Yes, Yes!
    Need a small part for a Ridley? - dont waste your time phoning paulmilnes-- they cant be ar*ed helping you.
  • MattFalle
    Buy a Merckx then. One of those utterly stupidly beautiful blue ones
  • redvision
    edited May 2022
    MattFalle said:

redvision said:

no worries - pleasure to help any time.

Tbf, you can't take it with you and you may as well treat yourself - the claim could go on for years and if you buy something middle of the road its nether here nor there and a wedge of cash chewed up for something that isn't going to scratch the itch.
    You're not going to love it and it won't get you motivated again...

I'd just go for it if I were you and get the Basso, when the insurance money comes down it pays for itself.

Essentially Lucy Worsley is available to you and you're looking at Nadine Dorres.

carpe diem my man, carpe diem...... buy the Basso.
    Ah, if only it were that simple. What i assumed would be a straight forward claim (against a 3rd party) is turning in to a prolonged nightmare and so after this I've more or less decided that I won't be buying a bike which I can't afford to replace. Sad state of affairs really.

Anyway, at the moment I'm sticking to my 1k budget, perhaps slightly more if I find something I just can't say no to though.

@arlowood, thanks for the suggestion, will take a look.
    Yep. I only want carbon. Tbh I've recently tried a titanium bike and just wasn't that impressed. Perhaps i expected too much given the hype some give them, but for me it didn't really feel much different from riding an aluminium frame.
  • MattFalle
    L'Etape or Rebus? Would need yo double check if rimmers like what you want.

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road-framesets/
  • redvision
    The l'etape could be a good option. Pics suggest it is rim brake, so could be ideal. Have messaged them to confirm this though.

Also found a couple of secondhand bikes which are actually very appealing (given the asking price) but until I see them you just never know (if they are as described).
  • MattFalle
    over budget but oh so lovely

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    redvision said:

The l'etape could be a good option. Pics suggest it is rim brake, so could be ideal. Have messaged them to confirm this though.

Yep - the blurb further down the page confirm that the L'Etape frame is for "standard brakes" by which I presume they mean rim brakes
  • MattFalle said:

over budget but oh so lovely

Looks very similar if not identical to the Dolan Ares SL?

Anyone any idea who makes them both?
  • MattFalle
    open mould china job according to reviews, so undoubtedly same factory and mould tbh..

if price is the same go for yhe one that has the prettiest paint scheme, which is the Pearson.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,208
    There are a number of quality Chinese manufacturers like Winspace & Yeoleo who now have UK distributors making the whole process much easier.

You'll still need to wait, but you won't pay any import duties and you can return to a UK base if things go wrong. And the quality is much better than Planet X open mould - these are absolutely top notch in every way. With your brief, this is what I would go for:

https://www.revolution-wheels.co.uk/product/r6-rim-brake-carbon-aero-road-frameset/

£970 for an aero frame which comes with one piece aero handlebars that are £240 on their own (I have the bars and can vouch for their excellence). Or £1100 for the super light version (again with the bars).

https://www.revolution-wheels.co.uk/product/r11-super-light-carbon-rim-brake-frameset/
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,208
    By the way the wait for my bars was just over 2 weeks so possibly not as onerous as your original post makes out.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060

There are a number of quality Chinese manufacturers like Winspace & Yeoleo who now have UK distributors making the whole process much easier.

You'll still need to wait, but you won't pay any import duties and you can return to a UK base if things go wrong. And the quality is much better than Planet X open mould - these are absolutely top notch in every way. With your brief, this is what I would go for:

https://www.revolution-wheels.co.uk/product/r6-rim-brake-carbon-aero-road-frameset/

£970 for an aero frame which comes with one piece aero handlebars that are £240 on their own (I have the bars and can vouch for their excellence). Or £1100 for the super light version (again with the bars).

https://www.revolution-wheels.co.uk/product/r11-super-light-carbon-rim-brake-frameset/

Very tempted by the super light one - think I'd need a few spacers with the aero job - interesting their recommended height for that tops out at 6'2" which isn't so tall to be right at the top end of the biggest size.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • redvision
    edited May 2022

Hadn't heard of these but a bit of digging and it appears they order from the far East when you place your order, so just a middle man. Not sure which Chinese manufacturer they are using.

I'm still no nearer making a choice. Doing my head in now. Really didn't want to spend too much, ideally a limit of 1k, but the reality has hit home that for that figure it is very difficult to find anything today which is really good value and meets my needs (well, looks pretty 😄).

I was thinking about getting the cheapest carbon boardman on the c2w scheme but I would need a size small and having spoken to my local halfords this morning, it's unlikely that size will be available anywhere in the UK before 'late summer'.

The dolan is still on my mind, also possibly the canyon ultimate cf even though its above my ideal budget and there's a wait for that and knowing canyon delivery estimates...
  • MattFalle
    Rivet Rider in small at £400, got Cycling Plus aero bike of the year award....

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FTPXEC130/planet-x-ec-130e-rivet-rider-carbon-aero-road-frameset
  • MattFalle
    old review but if its good and cheap and fun and gets you back on the road....

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/road-bikes/planet-x-ec-130e
  • redvision
    edited May 2022
    MattFalle said:

Rivet Rider in small at £400, got Cycling Plus aero bike of the year award....

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FTPXEC130/planet-x-ec-130e-rivet-rider-carbon-aero-road-frameset

Cheers MF but would need a medium in that frame (which is out of stock)
  • MattFalle
    No worries!

The gorgeous Pearson is it then! Or a Basso from R&A
  • redvision
    Tbh I think it's more likely to be the canyon. Had one before so I know what they are like to ride etc. Even though it's over budget I'm thinking I could either strip the parts and sell, or just sell the spare parts (groupset) I have.

Only thing is the wait. July according to their website but this is canyon, so that could be July 2025 knowing their estimates!