bike pump bends the value

hello
it seems that when I pump my tyres, the end of the value (long metal thread) bends slightly. I've tried a few bikes and my pump bends the value and it will eventually break the value so I often need a new inner tube. could it be my technique of pumping the tire? or should i get a new pimp?

any recommendations for a new pump?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    edited May 2022
    Is there a hose section on your pump? If not then that could be the reason.
    I'd suggest a new pump in that case. Or keep your hands steady.

*Valve and pump. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I can't offer you any advice on whether you need a new pimp or not - you probably need a different forum for that.

But in terms of pumps, you should probably be looking at a track pump..
  • dinesh2001
    dinesh2001 Posts: 11
    thanks people - I probably need to invest in a new pump. it's a shame as my current pump is a track pump and a best seller on amazon.
  • pblakeney

thanks people - I probably need to invest in a new pump. it's a shame as my current pump is a track pump and a best seller on amazon.

A track pump will have a hose connection so your issue is probably more to do with your technique in connecting. Keep it straight and then lock. Keep it straight when disconnecting.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,567
    edited May 2022
    It could be that you are holding the head on to the valve stem too hard whilst lifting the lever. If it is a fault with the head, you can get replacements that fit on the hose-just check hose diameter. eg SKS Pump Head Tyre Valve Connector
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I must admit I'm a nightmare for this.

Must be my technique in clamping the head on the valve but I forever seem to bend the head on the valve slightly.
  • dinesh2001
    thank you everyone, I will try to get a new SKS Pump Head Tyre Valve Connector , and will hold it striaght, glad I'm not the only one having this issue
  • dinesh2001
    just checked, my pump cant take a SKS Pump Head Tyre Valve Connector . its a vandroom pump, so I'll have to get a new pump. any recommmendations? needs to be idiot bend proof.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,567

just checked, my pump cant take a SKS Pump Head Tyre Valve Connector . its a vandroom pump, so I'll have to get a new pump. any recommmendations? needs to be idiot bend proof.

I think your pump is a Vandorm? If the hose is about 10mm in external diameter and 5mm internal, other pump heads should fit. They just push on and then screwed down tight.
  • pblakeney
    I use a JoeBlow Max HP* for reference but I am sure that the head is just as susceptible to bending a valve if installed at an angle. Just be careful?

*Others may be able to suggest a better pump but it meets my needs.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,423
    I think the problem is that you are pushing the pump valve head onto the valve too hard and also maybe unscrewing the knurled nut too far. Only unscrew it until the threaded bit is level with the nut then push the head on gently but firmly and lock the lever. It doesn't matter if you lose a lot of air doing this as you'll just have to add it back in with the pump.

I've done this in the past and it's really annoying.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    This can be an issue with all pumps lacking a hose. As you are trying to get a decent pressure with your puny cyclist arms, you tie yourself in knots and hold the pump at an angle to the valve stem.

Either get a pump with a flexible hose (good idea to have one to carry on rides anyway), a track pump (as well, probably, you will be grateful for it later) or as a work around get a Scrader valve adapter that screws over the presta valve and protects it. Most pumps have an insert that can be configured for both anyway.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-presta-to-schrader-valve-pump-head-adaptor?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360778090&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=base&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlNnZhcTF9wIVlu3tCh2t9Q3VEAQYASABEgKoF_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • pblakeney

This can be an issue with all pumps lacking a hose..

OP is using a track pump with a hose.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    pblakeney said:

This can be an issue with all pumps lacking a hose..

OP is using a track pump with a hose.
    In that case, Shrek is all thumbs.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

I think the problem is that you are pushing the pump valve head onto the valve too hard and also maybe unscrewing the knurled nut too far. Only unscrew it until the threaded bit is level with the nut then push the head on gently but firmly and lock the lever. It doesn't matter if you lose a lot of air doing this as you'll just have to add it back in with the pump.

I've done this in the past and it's really annoying.

This describes my "technique" pretty accurately I'd say.