Carbon Wheel Set

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a carbon wheelset?

Looking to run 30mm(ish) wide tyres, tubless and rim depth around 40/45mm.

If anyone has a suggestion with a particular tyre that complemented the wheel too it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    do a search on here - loads of v animated debate available.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,208
    +1 this gets discussed a lot, but if you can't find what you want, then the following would help:
    Budget
    Rim or Disc brake
    Type of riding (road and then race vs pootling, gravel etc.)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,946
    edited May 2022
    I can recommend this chap, who in turn was recommended to me by another forumite on here.

Great comms, and made me a wheelset of a weight, price and spec I was happy with.

https://spokesmanwheels.co.uk/

It seems you know what you want spec wise, as did I, but I was after shallowish rims, with lightweight being a key factor, and he replied with several options, but it took a few e-mails back and forth to come to a conclusion on spec, and then a couple of weeks to build and deliver.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    30 mm tyres? 😮😮
    left the forum March 2023
  • 30 mm tyres? 😮😮

yeah, reckon thats too wide? Im currently running 32mm wide. Was thinking I could come down a bit if going tubless and run a slightly lower pressure.
  • 30 mm tyres? 😮😮

yeah, reckon thats too wide? Im currently running 32mm wide. Was thinking I could come down a bit if going tubless and run a slightly lower pressure.
    Just dawned on me I'd going to something with a wider ext width so 28mm tyre would prob widen up a bit.....
  • MattFalle
    whst bike, what ya doin' on it?
  • MattFalle said:

whst bike, what ya doin' on it?

Trek Domane (fairly aero, but certainly not a Madone), have clip on aerobars. Current aluminum rims are about 25 deep.

So looking for something a bit lighter and a bit deeper, probably 40ish deep, tubeless ready. (definitely dont need anything deeper than 45)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What kind of benefits are you expecting from such a wheelset? (assuming you are expecting some, and don't just want carbon cos it's cool..)

Also, I don't think anyone's mentioned budget yet...
  • What kind of benefits are you expecting from such a wheelset? (assuming you are expecting some, and don't just want carbon cos it's cool..)

Also, I don't think anyone's mentioned budget yet...

lose a bit of weight, lose a bit of drag. I live in a coastal area with hills mountains a couple of miles inland. (im either climbing a lot or cycling into a headwind lol!)

I'd say £1500ish, £2000 absolute max.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I have done the all big tyres thing and you know what? 10 years later, I have just ordered a pair of 23 mm.
    left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle

I have done the all big tyres thing and you know what? 10 years later, I have just ordered a pair of 23 mm.

never moved off 23mm tubs except for two weeks on 25mm. No difference at sll excrpt the 25s punctured so hsmmer, fire, trebuchet and back on 23s.