Clank arm length

Hi all can someone advise me in the difference in clank arm length would going from 175mm to 170mm cause me any problems with my current set up? Currently chainset shimano deore fc-m610 replacing it with Shimano deore FC-M6000 or any alternatives or recommendations welcome
Many thanks

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    You will be able to apply a bit less than 3% less torque to your wheel. It will feel like a marginally harder gear. Given that a typical single gear shift on the cassette is 15%, I doubt that you would notice it.

If you are subject to pedal strikes from time to time, with your shorter crank arms you may have fewer in the future die to the increased ground clearance.

Your stance will be a bit less than 3% narrower, but unless you clip in, then this varies anyway so nothing to worry about.

Apart from a highly marginal weight reduction, I'm struggling to think of any other effects, so do not be concerned.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    You may need to lower the saddle slightly.

Theory goes that higher cadences are harder with longer cranks. Probably true but it is marginal. If you initially feel a difference it'll soon become natural.

I'm quite fussy, but I'm a roadie. I can't imagine with mtbing there will be enough monotony for you to really notice.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416

Theory goes that higher cadences are harder with longer cranks. Probably true but it is marginal. If you initially feel a difference it'll soon become natural.

I'm quite fussy, but I'm a roadie. I can't imagine with mtbing there will be enough monotony for you to really notice.

Wouldn’t you be raising the saddle going to shorter cranks?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    So throwing it out there my current set-up is a triple what would it involve changing to a single chainset at the front
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    seanoconn said:

Wouldn’t you be raising the saddle going to shorter cranks?
    Oh. Misread the op.