Solo road bike vacation Spain

Hi, no sure if this is the right forum cause I'll be staying in one spot but I'm planning on doing a solo road bike vacation of around 2 weeks in the summer(date not decided). Last year I went on vacation to Las Palmas alone and had one of the best vacations I ever had. Hired a road bike for 4 days and rode around 400km in those days. I would almost go there again but unfortunately the volcano outburst prevents that.

I was thinking of Mallorca but might be to busy for my liking. Las Palmas was so quiet I loved it. I'm not to social so rather go to a small village where I can just chill on my own.

I would prefer an apartment instead of an hotel. Because I go solo I rather eat in my apartment then go to a restaurant alone. Gonna rent a car as well.

I'm open to any suggestions(outside Spain as well). Budget is around 1000eu(exl food), flying from Amsterdam.

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,269
    If you went to La Palma, you must like steep hills, I guess? Have been there a couple of times and thought it would be too much for a road bike trip - not really enough roads or circular routes - so glad I was wrong!

How badly has the eruption affected it? I thought it was just the main road down the west side that would have an impact. Plenty of hills north of Los Llanos, all insanely steep, or around the south of the island.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    During the summer months?
    I'd be taking heat into the equation. ie, no thanks or up north on my part.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sketchy1
    sketchy1 Posts: 4

If you went to La Palma, you must like steep hills, I guess? Have been there a couple of times and thought it would be too much for a road bike trip - not really enough roads or circular routes - so glad I was wrong!

How badly has the eruption affected it? I thought it was just the main road down the west side that would have an impact. Plenty of hills north of Los Llanos, all insanely steep, or around the south of the island.

I do like climbing yes but not an requirement. The sights when cycling are just amazing on mountains.
    I was in on the west side and rode a lot around Los Llanos.
    The best cycling is on the west side and a lot roads are still closed.
    Puerto Naos where I was staying is still totally closed.
    pblakeney said:

During the summer months?
    I'd be taking heat into the equation. ie, no thanks or up north on my part.

Ye maybe i'll be going late summer. I went in September to Las Palmas and it was hot but bearable... just need to drink a lot :smiley:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    sketchy1 said:

Ye maybe i'll be going late summer. I went in September to Las Palmas and it was hot but bearable... just need to drink a lot :smiley:

I went to Nerja (south Spain) in September and it was too hot* for me then, and that was just being on holiday. May be cooler at elevation though.

*Strangely the temperature wasn't excessive at low 30s but the sun felt as though it could burn a hole in you.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I really enjoyed Girona. It is home to lots of pro cyclists and very cyclist friendly. Lots of routes to take, including plenty of climbs if you fancy them. The city itself is also beautiful, lots of places to stay and plenty of other things to do beside cycling.

Haven't been for a few years though so I suspect it is probably busier than when I last went as I think more cyclists have probably picked up on it being a worthwhile place to visit.
  • kingstongraham
    I'd Airbnb in a couple of places in the pyrenees.
  • Tenerife to climb Teide? No idea what else of note is on the island for road riding, I'm sure there must be plenty to keep you busy.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592

I really enjoyed Girona. It is home to lots of pro cyclists and very cyclist friendly. Lots of routes to take, including plenty of climbs if you fancy them. The city itself is also beautiful, lots of places to stay and plenty of other things to do beside cycling.

Haven't been for a few years though so I suspect it is probably busier than when I last went as I think more cyclists have probably picked up on it being a worthwhile place to visit.

I have yet to go there, but watching a raft of youtuber's videos on the place, it looks utterly amazing.
    Also being very close to my favourite European city is yet another massive plus point.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingstongraham

Tenerife to climb Teide? No idea what else of note is on the island for road riding, I'm sure there must be plenty to keep you busy.

Anaga in the northeast, and around masca kind of area in the northwest are both stunning. Much better scenery than I'd expected. And Teide is indeed a cracking ride.
  • I have yet to go there, but watching a raft of youtuber's videos on the place, it looks utterly amazing.
    Also being very close to my favourite European city is yet another massive plus point.

It's well worth the visit Dan, and definitely easy to combine with (assuming) Barcelona. The locals are incredibly friendly and as it is not a tourist hotspot, it is easy to navigate around and find quiet places as well.

If you are cycling there, it is also home to a load of bike rental places which is handy.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    Thanks @MidlandsGrimpeur2 , and yes spot on, it is Barcelona, such a lovely city.

I'd potentially look to drive, but good to know there are hire options available as well, I guess that way you could hire a road bike for a couple of days, and then look to hire a gravel bike for a bit as well.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    You could check out Ashleigh Moolman Pasio's Rococorba place north of Girona.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    edited April 2022

Tenerife to climb Teide? No idea what else of note is on the island for road riding, I'm sure there must be plenty to keep you busy.

I'm just back from there. Masca ride is amazing, so much better than Tiede (which is still good).
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner