Found two trash bike in the woods... what to do now?

Hello all

I've found two trash bikes abandoned in the woods last weekend, almost complete and working (sort of)...

The lady bike will get only a good clean, maybe a fresh coat of paint and parts overhaul to full working condition, but the old MTB (green and white frame) is giving me something to think about.

It's an IBA (old and extinct portuguese bike brand) of unknown model, probably from the early 90's, with a steel frame and fork, Shimano exage hubs on Rodi rims, Shimano Alivio derailleurs, shifters are dead and the crankset is incomplete.

First I was thinking about building a fixed gear, because I've already built a gravel from a GT Timberline, but the frame has vertical dropouts and found the rear cassette and chain in very good condition, so now I'm leaning towards a city bike, with 1x7 speed... but I would like to get some suggestions from you guys, so don't be shy!!

Comments

• Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 140
    Check with your local police they haven't been reported stolen, first. Someone might be pleased to get them back...
  • careca78
    careca78 Posts: 102
    Given their state of neglect, being low-end bikes, abandoned barely functional in a very popular MTB trail junction near some mountain farms without any trash bins nearby, it is easy to assume they were simply left there for someone to take... unfortunately it still happens a lot around here.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have 2 1990 MTB's, one is my town hack bike, 1x7 with a trouser guard on the chainring and all low end but just about 'good enough' components.

the other is 3x8 with all contemporary parts, LX STi shifter and Deore V-brakes, XT mech etc,
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • careca78
    The green bike is done... but now in red!

The bike was completely disassembled, the frame, fork, stem and handlebar were powder coated, all parts were overhauled, got new cables and sleeves and the only new part was the seatpost, because the original was wrecked and I wanted it to be compatible with normal seats with rails.

Hope you like it...

• Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 609
    Nice job!
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Well that beats my first thought of taking them to the tip!

But tips can be good sources for bikes, as long as you are not too fussy.

A friend of mine among other things was in charge of all the waste tips in Lincolnshire, including all the recycling places you take your rubbish to. A mutual friend wanted to do a big bike ride for charity but didn't have a bike. First mate brought home five bikes from his local tip and 2nd mate and I set about building one good one. It was dead easy! Within an afternoon he had a flat bar rigid bike that fitted him well and with all parts working like new. Within a week he had set off on an unsupported ride from Land's End to John o'Groats. His wife dropped him off and picked him up but that was all the support he got. He didn't bother booking anywhere, just rode until tired and then found a B&B. He was collecting for a charity along the way and most landladies gave him a free breakfast, with many not even charging him for the room! The money saved went to the charity. He didn't take any tools, just a pump. When he got a puncture (once) he chucked the bike over a hedge and thumbed a lift into the nearest town, got the tyre fixed and then thumbed back. He never got stranded! He must have lived a good previous life because good things just seem to happen to him. He didn't even get saddle sores!
  • Hello.. i had a friend who had them IBA bike.
    Nice bikes,Portugal make from early 90s .
    Where did you found the bikes? Sintra?
  • careca78
    The bike was found in Arrábida, near the Formosinho trail.
  • Them bikes were truly something special, made and assembled in Portugal,the frame was the same used also in another Portuguse brand MARVIL in the ealy 90's.
    Also made in Portugal.
    Did the bike you found came with old shimano STI LX or Alivio components?