Not the fastest road bike ever... Cargo FTW

So I finally took the plunge and bought a cargo bike (with electric assist!), for the supermarket shopping and other general things which need a bit bigger capacity - carrying tools etc! :grin:

It's actually great fun, although quite weird to get used to the steering of it (and it certainly has a quite wide turning circle), plus you can't take corners fast, as I have found out by ending up in the grass verge. :lol: Most of my route is pretty flat and the electric pedal assist is great there - we have a quite steep hill near our house though, and even on full assist it still is quite a workout to get up there when loaded though.

It came "80% assembled - only takes 2-4 hours to complete". Two days later I had finally worked out where the dozens and dozens of different sized bolts went, and how to route the hydraulic brakes, as the four pieces of A4 assembly instructions left quite a bit to be desired. But got there in the end, and really pleased with it. :smile:

Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
My Strava

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    What made you go for a 3 vs 2 wheeler?

I was looking at the astronomical Riese and Mueller one, but eventually bailed due to cost. The Cube one also looks really nice.
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    I just preferred the idea of a trike really - I'd looked at the others too, but just decided I'd prefer it over the others. Bought it from https://amcargobikes.co.uk/ - so was shipped over from Denmark. A friend of ours saw it the other day and said she was so happy to see it as like the Netherlands - they're just everywhere over there and nobody bats an eyelid - somewhat more unusual here of course. :lol:
    My Strava
  • seajays
    thistle_ said:
    Yes - that's the one I have - the front opens so the dog can get in and out as well... means we can cycle as a family to the park, which is about 7 miles away, without exhausting the dog in the process. :smiley:
    My Strava
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Shouldn't that be a picture of a dog on the side rather than a rabbit then? Or is it a hare? Hmm, longer legs would indicate hare. Certainly not a dog at any rate.
    Apologies for the pedantry, must admit I quite like the idea of them but couldn't really justify it myself.
  • seajays

Shouldn't that be a picture of a dog on the side rather than a rabbit then? Or is it a hare? Hmm, longer legs would indicate hare. Certainly not a dog at any rate.
    Apologies for the pedantry, must admit I quite like the idea of them but couldn't really justify it myself.

lol - it's a hare on the side and a rabbit - El-ahrairah - from watership down on the front. Just because I like them. :grin:
    My Strava
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,320
    Is this gradually going to replace the family car or just a bit of fun on the side?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Nice one @seajays , I too would love one, but alas can't currently find a genuine reason for one, but I think they are the future, and it will take a few early adopters to get the idea of using these into other people heads, so I dare say your purchase will radiate out and create other purchases.

There are a couple of cargo bikes of this ilk, I believe also with assistance, that are predominantly used for school runs, but I like to think they would also use them for shopping as well.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • seajays
    edited April 2022
    Yeah - so main reason is the weekly shop. It is a 12 mile round trip so easily done by cargo bike, and I'm very fortunate that 80% of that is on an old railway line, shared use path, straight, flat, no junctions or roads, just a bit either end to negotiate. Have also already used it to take tools/toolbox to go and do some repairs at local hall, and maybe will take some bigger stuff to recycling at the weekend. Basically I'll be able to use it for anything where I need to carry bigger stuff. Maybe use it at our village fair to give kids a ride. Plus the next mass cycling event in the city I'll be there. :smiley:
    My Strava
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Congratulations @seajays ... and welcome to the up front dutch cargo trike owners club :) How are you getting on with it?

(Imported Dutch Johnny Loco Cargo Trike owner here)
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...