Bib shorts

I am needing to replace a pair of my Polaris bib shorts. Not looking to spend more than about £40 so interested in personal experiences. Current candidates are:

https://wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-bib-shorts-1

https://wiggle.co.uk/ale-graphics-prr-strada-bib-shorts-2

https://planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCAHBSBLK/carnac-mens-haute-bib-shorts---black

I also have the Le Col Strava reward where I can get the Hors Categorie Heritage shorts for £64. Is it worth spending the extra?

Any feedback or alternatives would be welcomed

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    edited April 2022
    The Hors Categorie Heritage shorts at £64 is what they should retail for imo.
    They are nothing special and simply over priced at full retail.
    I got some "Nalini" shorts from Planet X which I seriously doubt are genuine. I cannot comment on the Carnacs but I am now very wary of Planet X.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • The DHB shorts are great. If not doing long all day rides then they are perfectly acceptable. They don’t have the chamois of the pricier shorts but for the money they are very good in my opinion. I use the DHB ones that are currently £28 for my turbo sessions and shorter rides outside (up to a couple of hours).
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Another +1 for the DHBs. I have a pair of the dark blue ones and they compare very favourably with shorts at twice the price.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    edited April 2022
    Until last September, I had never spent more that ~£40 on a set of bibs over the last five years, but then Merlin had an offer on the Catelli Free Aero 4 and Endurance 3, bought one and loved it so much bought the other... By far my most comfortable bibs!

https://www.merlincycles.com/castelli-ineos-grenadiers-free-aero-race-4-bib-shorts-213018.html is about what I paid (£82.50 before loyalty discount points), has the Progetto X2 Air pad that's surprisingly comfy.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Always used the dhb aerons in various iterations over the last 10 years and been very happy with them. £40 is a good price for them too
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

Until last September, I had never spent more that ~£40 on a set of bibs over the last five years, but then Merlin had an offer on the Catelli Free Aero 4 and Endurance 3, bought one and loved it so much bought the other... By far my most comfortable bibs!

https://www.merlincycles.com/castelli-ineos-grenadiers-free-aero-race-4-bib-shorts-213018.html is about what I paid (£82.50 before loyalty discount points), has the Progetto X2 Air pad that's surprisingly comfy.

^^^This^^^ for me as well.

The Castelli Kiss pad is perfectly acceptable but the Progetto is next level & worth the extra. YMMV of course.

If you look you can sometimes pick up Castelli shorts with the Kiss pad for £40 - £50 on eBay depending on your size.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    edited April 2022
    I'm not heavy, but the difference for my rear, is night and day between the kiss pad and the progetto II pad, the latter being imo one of the best pads in existence.

The Ale shorts are also excellent, and would be my pick for your budget.

Let us know how you get on, oh and don't forget tcb cashback with crc :)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,932

Currently looking for a new set of bibs, and Wiggle have the Aero for £88 at the moment with the Endurance being full price. Can anyone give a "non-marketing speak" version of the difference between the two.

Aside for the most obvious difference being £42 at this moment :wink:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    JimD666 said:

Currently looking for a new set of bibs, and Wiggle have the Aero for £88 at the moment with the Endurance being full price. Can anyone give a "non-marketing speak" version of the difference between the two.

At that price, go for the aero. I've got both (not from the current iterations though), and the fabric is a bit lighter on the aero, and the bib straps are a bit more comfortable on the endurance but the pad is the same. I treat them as pretty much interchangeable. Aero for the hottest days when you're in a climbing jersey, endurance for the longer days if it isn't so hot.
  • JimD666

JimD666 said:

At that price, go for the aero. I've got both (not from the current iterations though), and the fabric is a bit lighter on the aero, and the bib straps are a bit more comfortable on the endurance but the pad is the same. I treat them as pretty much interchangeable. Aero for the hottest days when you're in a climbing jersey, endurance for the longer days if it isn't so hot.
  • JimD666
    draft clearance
  • I've got a pair of Le Col Pro bibs and the HC bibs that I've bought thru various rewards/ deals etc. The thing I really struggle with regarding the Le Col shorts is the leg grippers- or perhaps lack of them.

On both the Pro and HC bibs, the bottom of the shorts around the leg grippers is very, very thin and the "grip", material very minimal. Even after only a couple of rides from new, they go baggy.

Size wise, they're the correct fit, and my legs are neither particularly skinny nor particularly large- it's just their design that (compared to other brands), is rubbish. I've got team issue Bioracer bibs, La Passione bibs and countless others that don't suffer this issue. Shame, as I get on well with the pad insert
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Is the progretto pad the one which has two moving parts? One to your undercarriage, the other to the saddle?