Tips to stop sunglasses sliding down nose?

seanoconn
seanoconn Posts: 11,400
Specifically Oakley Sutros. Didn’t have any problem in cooler weather but with a little sweat on the bridge of my nose they are now constantly sliding down. Can anything be done? Just something you put up with? Or need different sunglasses?
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    Maybe a bit of sandpaper like they put on the bottle cages in Paris Roubaix. What could possibly go wrong?!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Have you tried looking up? If you crash as a result of following this piece of advice you only have yourself to blame.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Staples for a temporary fix. Rivets for something more permanent.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited April 2022
    Nose job with a slight widening to stop glasses moving. Or get a mate or the missus to head butt or punch you on the nose. The swelling will keep the glasses in place. Repeat every couple of weeks for maintenance.
    Aren’t Oakleys supposed to have the nose piece made of something special to stop them sliding, that’s why they cost so much. I have never had a problem with any of my Oakleys sliding.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    They should have a nose grip which is supposed to prevent such an issue. Not sure what you can do really if they are sliding down even with that. Although, make sure your helmet isn't causing the problem - if the helmet is on too low or had dropped a bit then it can push the sunglasses down, and no matter how many times you push them back up it will keep happening until you adjust the helmet.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,735
    The original M-Frame glasses came with 2 sets of legs. One set wrapped round your ears to prevent this. Wonder if something similar is still available.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Silicon arm covers that help secure glasses around your ears.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577

Silicon arm covers that help secure glasses around your ears.

That is what is required.
    The Sutros do not have unobtanium (or what ever they call it) arm socks, iirc they changed the design on the newer sutro lites.

I have a pair I have yet to wear, but also bought some ear sicks for another model in the hope I can shoehorn them on if required.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

I have a pair I have yet to wear, but also bought some ear sicks for another model in the hope I can shoehorn them on if required.

I guess vommit could work, depending upon what you've eaten. ;)

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,223
    Why did sports sunglasses stop going behind your ear at some point?
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,560

Profit, presumably. It will be cheaper to manufacture the arms as a straight piece instead of bent or curved, with the “benefit” that one size fits all. Plus, the maker gets to sell you additional or replacement parts to help the poorly designed things stay stuck on, like the silicone grip pieces.

It’s just rubbish design dressed up by marketing to pretend it’s cool.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,223

Profit, presumably. It will be cheaper to manufacture the arms as a straight piece instead of bent or curved, with the “benefit” that one size fits all. Plus, the maker gets to sell you additional or replacement parts to help the poorly designed things stay stuck on, like the silicone grip pieces.

It’s just rubbish design dressed up by marketing to pretend it’s cool.
    So in order to make them more convenient when not in use, they became less functional when in use. That's progress.
  • seanoconn

This kind of thing?

• seanoconn
    redvision said:

They should have a nose grip which is supposed to prevent such an issue. Not sure what you can do really if they are sliding down even with that. Although, make sure your helmet isn't causing the problem - if the helmet is on too low or had dropped a bit then it can push the sunglasses down, and no matter how many times you push them back up it will keep happening until you adjust the helmet.

I do tend to wear my helmet a bit low. I will adjust and try 👍
  • daniel_b
    seanoconn said:

This kind of thing?

They look neat, do you have a name or link for them?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    Amazon. Anti slip silicone ear hooks. No idea if they’d be any good though.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,843
    edited April 2022
    I use some cheapy Amazon silicon "socks" on my main glasses, keeps them in place while riding to/from work and while often tilting my head down to read addresses on delivery. One pair typically lasts a couple of years, it was a bag of ~5 pairs iirc.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • HilaryAmin
    HilaryAmin Posts: 160
    seanoconn said:

Specifically Oakley Sutros. Didn’t have any problem in cooler weather but with a little sweat on the bridge of my nose they are now constantly sliding down. Can anything be done? Just something you put up with? Or need different sunglasses?

Being style-illiterate I had to google Oakley Sutros and found this:

"The overall fit is quite secure although it could be improved by the addition of rubber grippers on the inside of the arm and an adjustable rubber nose piece – in fact it’s surprising that the Sutro doesn’t feature these as standard given the price tag... The Sutro has a style that is both classic and modern so will appeal to a wide range of cyclists, though it would be nice to see adjustable frames and nose piece as standard, so you can ensure a really secure fit."

My solution is to buy cheap sunglasses I can try on in the shop - under 20 quid if possible. At the rate I lose or destroy sunglasses it's best I am never tempted by the high-end stuff. It's true no one has ever complimented me on my sunglasses but nor have they insulted me (for that reason, anyway).

If it is too late to send them back I would put the Sutros on ebay and try some other brand.

• daniel_b
    edited April 2022
    Thankyou @seanoconn this thread made me try and fit the free Radarlock earsocks I ordered (Oakley refunded me after ballsing up a custom sutro order) on my purple sutros.

They fit really well - took about 30 seconds per side, and I think the will make a massive difference - maybe exactly what you need as well.

I'd say they were tight, but not ridiculously so, so should be about perfect with regards to staying put, and now I think will be eminently usable.

Looking at the generic silicone ear socks on Amazon, a lot of them seem to be for thin metal frames, although admittedly they do broaden out at the end, so potentially you could simply lop the narrow bit off and just use the wider part.

There may be other more suitable ones on there that I did not spot.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    Great. Let us know how you get on with them. 👍
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2022
    daniel_b said:

Thankyou @seanoconn this thread made me try and fit the free Radarlock earsocks I ordered (Oakley refunded me after ballsing up a custom sutro order) on my purple sutros.

They fit really well - took about 30 seconds per side, and I think the will make a massive difference - maybe exactly what you need as well.

I'd say they were tight, but not ridiculously so, so should be about perfect with regards to staying put, and now I think will be eminently usable.

@seanoconn apologies for the delay - my Scott glasses have been so good these have not gotten a look in, until last night.
    Wore them for a full on effort over some bumpy terrain, nearly 40mph descending, hills, the works, and they did not budge a bit, zero movement, no rattling, no slipping, no nothing at all, just as planted and secure as my Scott pro shield things, although alas without the photochromic element.

I was definitely working, up to my max heart rate, and with the heat, plenty of perspiration.

So in summary, the radarlock earsocks have remedied the lack of grip for me on these sutros.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I found ordering the Asian fit nosepiece solved the problem of my Jawbreakers sliding down my nose when I was sweating.

I like to wear glasses high up on the bridge of my nose rather than lower down & the replacement nosepiece does just that.

It was only 80p but P&P was a fiver so ordered a couple to keep 1 spare.
  • seanoconn
    daniel_b said:

daniel_b said:

@seanoconn apologies for the delay - my Scott glasses have been so good these have not gotten a look in, until last night.
    Wore them for a full on effort over some bumpy terrain, nearly 40mph descending, hills, the works, and they did not budge a bit, zero movement, no rattling, no slipping, no nothing at all, just as planted and secure as my Scott pro shield things, although alas without the photochromic element.

I was definitely working, up to my max heart rate, and with the heat, plenty of perspiration.

So in summary, the radarlock earsocks have remedied the lack of grip for me on these sutros.

Thanks for that Daniel. I should have posted back here sooner.

I put the radarlock ear socks on my Sutros and those with a combination of wearing the sunglasses under the helmet strap, making sure the ends contact my head and not the helmet webbing, have totally eradicated any slippage in any weather with any effort. Not had a problem since 👍

muchas gracias