GP 5000 or Corsa G+ ?

700 x 28 and for day rides in rural areas with poor road surfaces, what do you think?

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,506
    edited April 2022
    I've had a set of 28mm Corsa G2.0 on my good bike for the past 2 years and done about 3000 miles on that bike over that time.
    Tyres have been great, no flats and ride nicely, but riding friends have GP5k's and rate them too.
  • I loved the Corsa G when I used them but I found that the 'upper' section had a habit of peeling away from the carcass of the tyre. This was quite a common issue with them but they might have sorted it now.
  • NB. Will be run with tubes.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408

I loved the Corsa G when I used them but I found that the 'upper' section had a habit of peeling away from the carcass of the tyre. This was quite a common issue with them but they might have sorted it now.

Had a friend who this happened to recently. After sub 1000 miles.

I love the GP5000's, can't fault them in any way.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,964
    edited April 2022
    GP5000s.
    Did me great descending the Telegraphe in a thunderstorm.
    Key is to look where you're riding and try to avoid debris on the road rather than just plough through it. Of course you can just be unlucky too.
  • I have Grand Prix Sport Race on the bike as it came fitted with them, good tyres but getting a bit worn, sounds like the vote is for the GP 5000s
  • Corsa g+ are a great tyre, use them on my summer and race bikes. They are lighter and will likely wear quicker on poor roads however, so I would go with the conti's if you want a bit more durability.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    GP 5000 don’t wear very well and puncture quite easily as well. The are also a right pain in the ar@e to get on Prime rims. I won’t be buying them again.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,623
    GP 4 Seasons worth considering?
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 113
    webboo said:

GP 5000 don’t wear very well and puncture quite easily as well. The are also a right pain in the ar@e to get on Prime rims. I won’t be buying them again.

If you find a set that aren't a pain to run on primes let me know. Bought a pair of schwalbe ones, recommended by a friend. Will be replacing gp4000s, hard to fault. But the schwalbe are alot cheaper. Poor country roads here to
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,878
    mrb123 said:

GP 4 Seasons worth considering?

Much worse than the Vittoria Paves that I've used in the past.
    Unless regularly used below 5 degrees, then yes, consider the 4 Seasons.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    Continental to me have replaced the GP 4000’s with the GP 5000’s which are a more expensive but inferior tyre.
    I have used conti’s for maybe 30 years however with 5000’s they’ve now lost my custom.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    webboo said:

4000k on one set zero punctures, and still within wear markers.
  • webboo
    I bought a pair last year, rears in the bin. Fronts still got a bit of life in it. I have a 4000 on one of my other bikes that’s about 4 years old and still got life in it.
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 444

700 x 28 and for day rides in rural areas with poor road surfaces, what do you think?

I’ve had 28mm Conti 5000’s with inner tubes on my Supersix for some time. Absolutely fab. Brilliant grip, durability has been excellent …. and no visits from the p******* fairy!
    I run them around 78psi front and 80psi or less and provide good comfort. I normally run 25’s, but the SuperSix came with them fitted by the previous owner and I will stick with them when need replacement.
  • davidbf1
    davidbf1 Posts: 3
    edited April 2022
    Went t/l for the first time last year with a set of Corsa Graphene 2.0 on Reynolds Strike wheels, liked the way they rode on my summer bike, but had the same issue - tread layer started to delaminate from the carcass, only about 1,400kms in….
    Now running GP5000 clinchers, no problems so far (1,200kms in), easy to get onto the rims (but admittedly they’re not t/l) but plan to put some GP5000 S onto the good bike once they’re back in stock widely (and at a non-stupid price), and put these onto my other bike.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    What you really want are the Corsa Control 28s. Some extra grip and no noticeable loss of rolling resistance. I run them as tubs and clinchers. The Vittoria sponsored teams use them a lot now.