Shimano WH RS500 sealing ring

mjh892
mjh892 Posts: 4
Hi, I need to replace the axle on my rear wh rs500 wheel due to pitted surfaces on the non drive side. I have sources the parts including the freewheel side bearings and the bearing and cage for the non drive side. My dialema is how do I remove the bearing sealing ring to allow me to remove the bearing cage? Also once out how does a new sealing ring fit back in?
Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    Hi,
    not used those wheels, but looking at the exploded diagram, I'd imagine that the seal would lever out with a wide flat screwdriver.
    Installing the replacement (or refitting the old one) I'd use something like a socket that has the same outer diameter as the seal and tap it into place.
    Use a good water resistant grease and/or service regularly to avoid the pitting of bearing races.
  • mjh892
    Thanks for your reply masjer I'll have a go tomorrow
  • masjer
    This might help. It's a different hub, but the seal is the same part no. Removal of that seal is at about 1 minute in.
    https://youtu.be/s6hym9hwgFY
  • mjh892
    masjer your a star. The vid was great even though I didn't understand the language 😂. Seal came out easily with no damage. Knowledge is power.
  • masjer
    Yeah, sorry about the language, but I thought you'd get the gist.