Rear wheel oddness

emanresu
emanresu Posts: 320
I went to lube my winter bike chain and it wouldn't free wheel when I spun the cranks, the chain would just go baggy, when I checked the wheel it wouldn't spin freely in either direction. As it felt just like brake rub I checked the brakes and nope, there wasn't a problem. I spin the wheel a few times and then suddenly bingo the problem has completely gone the wheel is spinning freely in both directions. A couple of hours later I double check the wheel and everything is fine.

I come back to the bike this morning and exactly the same thing happens, in both directions the wheel will not turn a full revolution if you try to spin it and then suddenly it's spinning like a top.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Nothing has happened last time I rode the bike and the wheel bearings where changed less than 800km ago.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    It’s either your wheel bearings,freehub or possibly the spring in your rear mech sticking.
    If you take the wheel out does wheel spin alright. I had a similar issue which I thought was the mech. I would get it sorted so I thought then it would happen again. Tried a different wheel and the problem disappeared.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    As webboo says, very much sounding like a freehub problem.
  • I'm more inclined to go for a wheel bearing issue with this but it could be either, seen this in wheels that have sat in sheds etc over winter etc .Less common if it's happened overnight be more likely the freehub
  • emanresu
    emanresu Posts: 320
    Sorry should have said thanks for the advice earlier.

It's a novatec freehub so there is loads of videos on youtube on servicing freehubs. I removed, cleaned and re-greased the freehub and all it well.

Thanks