10 years in, verdict on the new Flanders route?

13»

Comments

• After downloading the VIP brochure, the cheapest ticket for the OK or Paterberg is €325, with most options available for around €450

One package is sold as 3x Oude Kwaremont, and is probably the main reason the route goes round 3 times
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    pinno said:

Having been lucky enough to be on the Kwaremont on Sunday (non-VIP), I can say that I'm all for the loops

If you are familiar with the area, you can move around and pick up the race at many points as it meanders.
    Same as Roubaix but I see your point.
    And it may be that the organisers / authorities also like the idea of reducing the numbers of spectators that are tempted to drive around (at speed) in an attempt to view the race multiple times.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

After downloading the VIP brochure, the cheapest ticket for the OK or Paterberg is €325, with most options available for around €450

One package is sold as 3x Oude Kwaremont, and is probably the main reason the route goes round 3 times

Does that include booze??
  • pinno said:

Having been lucky enough to be on the Kwaremont on Sunday (non-VIP), I can say that I'm all for the loops

If you are familiar with the area, you can move around and pick up the race at many points as it meanders.
    True, but instead of trying to get around the area in a car, I could have a beer with the Belgian fans and watch the race on the big screen in between ascents, with a free bus at the end back to Oudenaarde
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,137
    andyrr said:

pinno said:

And it may be that the organisers / authorities also like the idea of reducing the numbers of spectators that are tempted to drive around (at speed) in an attempt to view the race multiple times.
    I used to follow Tour of Britain stages like that and it could be quite a push to get ahead of the race even when you could turn up on the best spots 10 minutes before they came through. With the popularity now on any decent section you wouldn't be able to park up in time to watch them so must be a nightmare on the big Classics to try to follow by car.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    edited April 2022
    mrb123 said:

After downloading the VIP brochure, the cheapest ticket for the OK or Paterberg is €325, with most options available for around €450

Comes with Covid included, looking at those crowds.

I assume the Kwaremont is serving Kwaremont.
    €450 buys you an awful lot of beer
    When you can watch the whole race on the telebox.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mrb123 said:

It includes "non-stop open bar" which I would imagine is all the Kwaremont you can drink (which in my experience is 7 bottles)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Pross said:

must be a nightmare on the big Classics to try to follow by car.

Nah, small car and a lack of care where you park, you'll be reet! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

It's the only reason. They were quite open about it when they made the change.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago