Cracked forks? Brand new Genesis Equilibrium

arleas
arleas Posts: 15
I have a Genesis Equilibrium that I finished building a few months ago (it’s a 2020 frame set with carbon fork - took me ages due to the pandemic etc)! Had it checked at my LBS and turns out I did a good job.

I’ve been out on it a few times since, and managed to get it a bit caked in mud. I cleaned it up and noticed the brake bolt was a bit grim, so took it out to clean it up.

Which is when I noticed the paint work around the front of the fork was cracked where the bolt passes through (Shimano R451s). Some of the paint has even fallen off! I didn’t have this problem with my previous bike, so I’m a bit disappointed to see this.

1) Is this normal?
2) Is it safe?

I used a torque driver - specs say it should be 8-10nm. Mine was tightened to 8nm.

Comments

• arleas
    A few more photos…

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,697
    Is that not an alloy crown?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    That looks way better than the forks on my winter bike. If that’s knackered I’m riding a death trap.
  • arleas

Is that not an alloy crown?

I’ve no idea - I very much hope so! Genesis say it’s a cro-mo/carbon fork. Does that mean it’s ok to ride?
  • arleas
    webboo said:

That looks way better than the forks on my winter bike. If that’s knackered I’m riding a death trap.

I think I’ve been out on it four or five times… should tightening the bolt really crack all the paint off?

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Looks like a paint problem. OK to ride .
  • arleas
    lesfirth said:

Looks like a paint problem. OK to ride .

Cheers - is it worth calling Genesis for a warranty claim do you think? Looks like it’s going to flake off in time and I’m sure the exposed metal will start to rust.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    fine to ride, no to warranty claim as its paint from where a bolt has been done up onto it.

sand off touch up, leave.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • arleas
    MattFalle said:

fine to ride, no to warranty claim as its paint from where a bolt has been done up onto it.

sand off touch up, leave.

Cheers. Still think the paint that protects the bare metal from exposure should withstand a bolt - it’s where it’s supposed to go! The fork could really have used some kind of insert like the ones on my old Ribble.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    Nothing wrong with it. You won't ever notice it again once the caliper is back on.
  • arleas
    masjer said:

Nothing wrong with it. You won't ever notice it again once the caliper is back on.

Good to know: the paint has split right up to the top though, so I think that’s going to peel off in time.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    arleas said:

masjer said:

Good to know: the paint has split right up to the top though, so I think that’s going to peel off in time.
    Can't quite see that very well on the pics. If it's an alloy steerer, that area will be alloy too, so won't be structurally cracked. The washer on the caliper is either knurled or rough to grip the paint, causing superficial paint damage.
  • arleas
    I think I’m safe to ride on it - thanks everyone.
  • arleas
    masjer said:

arleas said:

masjer said:

Can't quite see that very well on the pics. If it's an alloy steerer, that area will be alloy too, so won't be structurally cracked. The washer on the caliper is either knurled or rough to grip the paint, causing superficial paint damage.
    I thought that too. It’s the washer supplied with the Shimano brakes and is completely smooth.
  • As other's have said that's pretty normal for paint crack/flake on the crown. It's usually a good idea to sand the paint down where the washer will seat on the crown. That way it should stop the paint from cracking/flaking.