Remote control fan

I have an indoor rower coming this week to be used in conjunction with the turbo. The fan I have just now is more or less past it

Can anyone recommend a fan, which comes with a remote control, for indoor training?

Comments

• joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    CLEVA cardio does, and it's damn powerful too! Though a much smaller, more focussed area than a normal fan and pretty pricey
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,140
    I have the non-cardio version of the Cleva fan (Vacmaster air mover) and it is very very good. The highly concentrated flow of air feels much more like the wind when you're moving at speed. I use in conjunction with a Screwfix high velocity fan so you've got the focussed flow into your chest and the wider dispersed fanning for everywhere else.

I didn't shell out the extra for the version with a remote because I prefer to use a smart plug with an Alexa to have it voice controlled. I got my Cleva fan on an amazon warehouse open box deal for £50. That plus a 3 plug smart strip + an Alexa and you're still under the cost of the cardio new; and if you wanted to add further fans like I did you can use the other sockets.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I got a pair of remote controlled plug-in sockets - a bit like timer switches for a table lamp. Remote can work up to 4 or 5 paired sockets. Pretty cheap from somewhere like Toolstation - don't remember exactly. Only this is that while it does do on and off, you have to preset the fan speed. A proper remote fan should let you do that, but not sure how much extra that might be cost wise.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,586
    edited April 2022
    I have the cleva remote fan, and has been mentioned it's awesome but quite concentrated, I use it for face/upper body.

For me, it would not be sufficient in it's lonesome.
    It would be awesome if they made some kind of diffuser to spread the airflow more, if there was one it might be viable as a single fan setup.

Cleva normally have a 10% discount code knocking about, either on t'interweb, or sometimes simply for new customers.

I bought this when my sealey pedestal fan died a death after 10 years, when all the blades fell off.
    I tried to save it, but frustratingly they no longer sold that part :'(

I went for the remote version as without it you have to choose the speed before you start your session, so this gives more flexibility.

I also have a 18" sealey floor fan for legs and lower body.
    This has 3 speed settings, so I pick the one I want before I ride, and then it's plugged into a remote switch, with a physical remote control to switch it on/off.

I also have one of those small (8 or 10" maybe) cloned honeywell fans, but that's only fir the lightest of workouts.

In the house I have started using Tapo plugs, which are controllable via alexa (we don't have any speech controlled interfaces) and or by an app on your phone.

When this plug / remote dies I will switch to one of those, as I have a few in stock now.

Frustratingly Sealey make a wonderful 18" floorfan wuth a full remote, but it's only available in the us of a, and when I contacted them they said they had no plans to bring it to market here :#
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    So with remote control plugs you have multiple fans and the air speed/volume is increased by switching them on rather than increasing the speed of a single fan?
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 112
    I've a princess tower fan, controlled via app on the phone. Pretty good, 3 levels. There's a natural mode as well, gives a nice breeze. Swivels 180 degrees to. I looked at vacmaster but remote option wasn't available at time. On offer at 80 on amazon now I see.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    You could get just a normal fan & one of those WiFi plugs so you could control it with your phone?
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,140
    navrig2 said:

So with remote control plugs you have multiple fans and the air speed/volume is increased by switching them on rather than increasing the speed of a single fan?

Yes that's exactly what I do.
    Light - gym fan
    Medium - vacmaster
    High - both
  • daniel_b
    edited April 2022
    navrig2 said:

Exactly that.

Superdavo landed an excellent deal on his, normally on the website after 10% discount the prices would be £90 for the remote fan, and £63 for the standard.
    For me personally the extra £27 was well worth paying for that extra flexibility.

https://www.cleva-uk.com/collections/vacmaster-air-movers/products/vacmaster-cardio54-fan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • navrig2
    Thanks guys.
  • navrig2
    ibr17xvii said:

You could get just a normal fan & one of those WiFi plugs so you could control it with your phone?

That's just an on/off option tho?
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    navrig2 said:

ibr17xvii said:

That's just an on/off option tho?

Yeah I guess so.

I have to confess I'm not sure.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    I also have remote plugs paired with a 18" floor fan form Screwfix. Works well.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • HilaryAmin
    HilaryAmin Posts: 160
    ibr17xvii said:

I've a large fan operated via Alexa and a DC motor Probreeze pedestal job with a remote (nice fan, very quiet).

The Probreeze gets turned on first and then when I really heat up I summon the large fan.

• navrig2
    After the advice given here and a bit of reading and YouTubing I am going to get a Cleva fan (Vacmaster air mover). Still to decide on whether to pay the extra £30 or so for the rc model.

I reckon it wouldn't be too hard to rig up a means to change the tilt angle to give more directional control.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    I quite like the remote, I currently turbo in an unheated garage so for me at the moment cooling isn't an issue (it's ~5c!) as such I like switching the fan off in the rest intervals and then ramping it back on when I start the work again. So far I haven't had to go above speed 1 yet.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    I got one and feel that is is worth the extra for the control. Depending on room temp you start off at zero or 1, then up to 2. 3 is only needed for hot days/very hard sessions.
    FWIW IMO the set angle is pretty spot on and it is powerful enough that placing it further away gives a wider spread of flow without losing effect. YMMV.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daniel_b
    My setup means I have to have it just in front of my front wheel canted up, I did wonder how having the ability to move it away could broaden the airflow.

I don't often use it on 3, but did today as I was on 4 x 15 minute over unders, 90 seconds under at about 95%, followed by 90 seconds at 105%

I started at speed one for the first 15, speed two for efforts 2&3, and went for speed three for the final one.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18