Brake cable into top tube

benali
benali Posts: 49

Simple job again turned into nightmare!
Just want to replace rear brake outer cable from top tube to lever.
It was stuck at the junction into the top tube, so gave it a good pul and now I've got this.
Looks like it may have been butchered before and maybe glued in place.
Not sure what to do with it now, still can't get it properly out?

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    is there a ferrule there or does the outer run all way through the top tube?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • benali
    edited April 2022

Well this is the other end at the rear of the top tube.
  • MattFalle
    so thd black bit that goes into the frame is not standard cable outer, but a thinner cable inner?
  • benali
    At the damaged end (front), std brake cable outer. But looks like it may have been glued in. Well its solid and has now pulled the metal outer apart. Not sure if there should be a ferulle, but the opening doesn't look as big as at the rear.
  • I have the same brake setup for my Cube and it does not have a ferrule at the front where the cable goes in. I can't recall whether the outer goes all the way through the frame, I suspect not though (it shouldn't need to) and I'm guessing that's where the issue is - someone has fed the outer into the frame and now it is stuck.
  • benali
    Well it doesn't go all the way through as you see from the photo where it exits at the rear. So what is supposed to create the junction between the cable and the frame at the front where my problem is?
  • benali
    Getting that cable out and cleaning up whats left of the hole is the problem!
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    If all else fails you could drill both holes out and run the external brake cable all the way through the frame.
  • MattFalle
    I think first yhing is to get old cable out by hook, crook or ignorance and see how it looks.

as above, maybe run outer all the way through, if you're missing a grommet most likely you can order them as a part (Cervelo do this).

So is it totally stuck in there at the front end or can you pull it out with pliers?
  • benali
    Totally stuck I would say, but I guess with enough force something will give eventually. But not sure what it will leave behind!
  • MattFalle
    either way, its gotta come out.

tbh, v unlikely it'll actually do any damage to the carbon, it'll just look manky with bits of glue and maybe some cable outer on it.

i'd rip it all out, clean it up (dental pick? scalpel?) then send us more piccies.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669
    Liberal spray of Plusgas or other penetrating fluid. Leave for a while. Maybe try twisting anti-clockwise like undoing a screw. Might be that the coil of the outer has got jammed past the stop in the frame.
    Good luck

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• benali

The cable outer is all out now.
    Looks like a steel ferule now left in the frame. I dont think that will move.
    Not sure if it should be there or not.
    It is such a tight fit though onto the new rubber outer that it wont bottom out into it.
  • benali
    Carefully cleaned out with 4.5mm drill, making sure not to go through.
    New cable fitted plenty of grease.
    All good, thak you all!
  • MattFalle
    Excellent news! Top work that man.

Piccie of bike needed though please.
  • benali

Complete with road dirt I'm afraid!
  • MattFalle
    #funky!

you gonna pop some 60s on there?

#doitdoitdoitdoit
  • benali
    I would like some carbon deeps tbf!
  • MattFalle
    Prime, Merlin, Light Bicycle, Selcof, Planet X - take your pick.

after rescuing this brake cable debacle, you deserve them.

#doitdoitdoitdoit