Verdict on seatpost?

Hi was fitting new saddle anyway so removed my seat post today to clean and check. Its a specialized S_works CG-R PAVE SL ('cobble gobbler') that came with my S-Works Roubaix frameset. It's six years old and probably done about 18-24k miles. Noticed there are two marks on the back of the post just where it would contact the seat post (i.e. where the clamp fits). They are raised on the surface like ripples (not cracks) and you can just feel them if you run a fingernail over them. Wondering what opinions are on continuing to use it
or should I ditch and replace?

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    ignore and continue to use.

Depending how heavy you are.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    lacwqer squish, to use a technical term

carry on as norml i would
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Thanks shirley-basso and MattFalle -

MattFalle my intial feeling was it was a squish in the lacquer as well and not substantive damage. It feels like a couple of surface ripples, not cracks when you run fingernails over it. There is no difference is sound when tapping that area over others and no creaks or squeaks when riding. Was interested in others opinions so many thanks.

shirley-basso --- I have been way over the weight limit since I bought the frameset. My feeling is always that the engineers stress test these components and if they get failure at 400kg ... the marketing people say advertise it with a 200kg limit so we look like we make good stuff but take no great risk of any damages claims ... the legal Dept then say no advertise a 100kg weight limit then there will never be any legal actions!