Smartwatch integration

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a smartwatch mainly to track all activity, sleep, etc., but I'm wondering about what smartwatches might integrate best with smart trainer use.

I have a Wahoo Kick'r Core and run Zwift. Is there a way to integrate the heart rate from the smartwatch so I get the readout on Zwift while I'm riding? My current GPS for outdoor riding does not have a heart rate monitor.

If anyone has experience with thisor has any recommendations on smartwatches it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    You want to look for devices which advertise heart rate broadcasting. For example, this is Garmin's page about the feature with a list of devices which can do it: https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=Zj1947s6pqAHzBCAhLhrC9
  • I think all the Garmin watches that have GPS can also broadcast HR, even the Fitbit sized Vivosmart
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Got a Garmin smartwatch.
    You can upload Zwift workouts to Garmin connect but that's about it.

They're pretty useless on the turbo, my chest strap will say 190bpm and the watch will say 90bpm.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    dannbodge said:

They're pretty useless on the turbo, my chest strap will say 190bpm and the watch will say 90bpm.

This totally plus broadcasting HR seems to eat the battery.

A HRM chest strap is not that expensive, is much more accurate and more reliable.

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I've got a Garmin VivoFit3. I was full of (false) optimism about what I could/would do with it.

I use it for
    GPS on a run (my phone would do exactly the same and as I listen to music I could just use the phone),
    step counting (why? I don't know as I can tell when I have walked a lot each day.)
    telling the time (it is a watch after all!!)

The most useful function was to change track or pause music when running but Garmin, for some reason, decided to apply a screen lock so even that functionality has been lessened in usefulness.

Once it dies I'll be buying a Casio for day use and use my Tag Heuer for "posh" events.
  • I use an Apple Watch for all day to day HR, sleep, recovery etc. It does not link to Zwift and neither did my Garmin HR that I use with my 800.
    I got fed up messing around and just bought a polar HR chest strap and transmitter for £40 to use with Zwift.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,153
    Vivoactive 3 owner here.
    The watch HR lags the chest strap by a few seconds when doing sprints etc. but they're roughly the same otherwise.
    Check how the HR broadcasting works on the watch - Vivoactive 3 uses ANT+. Zwift removed ANT+ support from the companion app a while ago so in that case you'll need an ANT+ dongle for your laptop.