Too clever with my chainset swap?

I needed a new free hub so thought I’d have a tinker with my well worn drive chain. My first mistake was not fully understanding what my limitations were. I started with an x9 11-32 and swapped to 11-34 with the intention of swapping the Devore x3 crank to a x2 by omitting the big ring and resizing the other 2, this is where I was dim…. And need help. I was hoping (as an experiment) I could change the 22/32/44 for a 26/38 but I can’t get a consistent gear change and the chain often jams between the two chain rings. Am I too ambitious, missing something obvious or just dim? The 26 looks ok to me but the 38 is a bit flash and quite different from the originals. It’s fatter and aluminium which makes the fixing bolts protrude a little as it doesn’t have the pressed bulge forming of the steel 44. Looking for any suggestions before I ditch the idea.

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,675
    Does sound off that the chain is dropping between the two rings. Did you use the middle/outer positions of the old triple, or inner/middle? (Middle/outer recommended)

I’m suspecting the front derailleur is perhaps positioned too high - did you drop it lower on the seat tube to match the new rings?

Worth also noting that there are two specific front derailleur variants for double versus triple rings. Your old triple compatible will have a longer cage and will also have different geometry for the ramps up between rings. I’d suggest changing that FD for a double specific version. A double one won’t cope with 44 tooth front ring

Shimano left (front) shifters have a setting underneath where you can select 2x or 3x shifting as well. Make sure you have that set correctly to the 2x or it will also mess up your shifts. To do it, make sure the shifter is in the middle position of three *before* turning the set screw from 3x to 2x. That will stop the shift lever subsequently allowing a drop to the old granny ring spot.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Thanks OXO I’ll check that out. Wheel spinner you may have sussed it. I read somewhere to remove the outer ring but you suggest using middle and outer. Excellent advice regarding the shifters too, I’m learning so much. Thank you both.