Gear cable problem

capt_slog
capt_slog Posts: 3,965
I was having a fettle after changing the derailleur hanger, I had the bike up in a clamp and was checking the gears. They were very poor, but suddenly stopped working altogether. I'd changed up to the smallest cog, but I couldn't get the lever to move back to bigger rings, it was effectively jammed.

I stripped the hood off, and started to take covers off etc. I've eventually found that the cable has a frayed wire. Once I'd taken the nipple out of the shifter, it all operated perfectly, the frayed bit was fouling the cable outer right at the shifter exit

This is 11sp 105 set. I'm guessing I already know the answer to this, but I was wondering what i could get away with replacing. The Shimano blurb says....

Part number Y63Z98910
OT-SP41 polymer coated shift cable sets (Black)
• Outer cap with short tongue for ST-9000 (2 pcs.) • Outer cap with long tongue (3 pcs.)
• Sealed outer cap for Rear Derailleur (1 pc.) • Inner end cap (2 pcs.) • Cover with tongue for rear derailleur (1 pc.)

So I doubt i will get away with just buying a stainless steel inner? (circa £5)

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy the polymer coated inner?

Ta

The older I get, the better I was.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Those polymer coated cables attract lots of dust and crap and fur up. Lots of people avoid them.
  • capt_slog
    edited March 2022
    @webboo
    Thanks

I noticed that it was a bit fluffy inside, is that what it is? It looks as if the polymer had shed.

• Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 668
    I replaced the snapped, fluffy polymer coated cables on son’s Ultegra bike with Optislick ones. Not cheap but very smooth shifting now. The old ones with the peeling polymer coating were creating so much drag that at times the inner was actually jamming in the outer. Took quite a bit of pushing and pulling to thread the new cables and eject all the woolly stuff but it’s all good now
  • capt_slog
    Munsford0 said:

I replaced the snapped, fluffy polymer coated cables on son’s Ultegra bike with Optislick ones. Not cheap but very smooth shifting now. The old ones with the peeling polymer coating were creating so much drag that at times the inner was actually jamming in the outer. Took quite a bit of pushing and pulling to thread the new cables and eject all the woolly stuff but it’s all good now

I thought optislick WAS polymer, you live and learn

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited March 2022
    Just get the ones from the big Shimano box in the shop or Lifeline ones.

work just as well as that polymer rubbish and don't clog up your shifters, just as good as Jagwire etc.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 668
    capt_slog said:

Munsford0 said:

I thought optislick WAS polymer, you live and learn

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/technologies/component/details/optislick.html

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    The one with the polymer coating does just as you say - the coating gunks up the outers.

As MF says - get the cheap steel wire from the big box at the LBS. I put a tiny bit of lithium grease on as well before feeding it through for no real reason but it makes me feel better.
  • capt_slog
    Thanks for the replies.

I've ended up ordering one because I didn't think I'd be passing that sort of bike shop in the near future. Sadly I realise now that if i had made the effort, I'd probably saved a few bob. I didn't understand that they would be available as service parts (ie The big box full that MF mentioned) I get what you mean now. :(

Anyways, I started stripping the old stuff off in preparation for the new arriving and this is what I found...

I hadn't noticed the Jagwire labelling before.

You can see the polymer letting go of the wire on the length to the top left, possibly where it went through the in-line adjuster. In other places it was showing shiny steel (where it went around a guide under the BB), but a lot of it looked fine.

I bought a 'kit' containing a length of inner, outer, and the caps etc.