What Size of bike

gerryhughes67
gerryhughes67 Posts: 17
edited March 2022 in Road buying advice
New to road cycling and using my 17 year old Claud Butler, in the past I was a marathon runner and just used this bike for rest days. I would only ever do 15miles but now due to new hip I’ve gave up running and cycling more, once over 20 miles I start to get sore left hand and shoulder. I’ve played about with setup and slightly better, however I went out with two mates who are same size as me and both their bikes were smaller.

I’m just over 6ft, if any other 6 footers could let me know the size of their bike it might let me know if mines is to big causing me to stretch.

I’m considering a new bike and quite fancy a Ribble endurance

GH

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    56 or 58cm, assuming you're broadly in normal proportions.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I'm bang on 6 feet tall, I have a Ribble R872 in Large & it fits me pretty well.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I'm 6 foot and my bikes are almost all 56.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited March 2022
    6'2, 57 or 58cm frame with 110cm stem on "normal" bike and 100mm stem on aero bike due to slightly longer top tube fits perfect.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Depends on your cycling inseam, relative to your height.

I'm ~178cm with ~82cm cycling inseam, I have the torso of someone more typically ~185cm, my Cube Attain GTC (their range has slightly strange geometry IMO) is a 58cm.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • shirley_basso
    I am 5'11 and 3/4 (it COUNTS!) and ride a boardman pro carbon large - 57cm with a 110 stem and a colnago in 54s (57/58 or so HTT), also with 110 stem. Both slammed.

The colango is a bit more upright, but I don't mind.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    edited March 2022
    Yes as above probably a 56 in most makes - agree Cubes tend to run small.

I'm 6'2 and typically go for a 58 or an XL though these days with a shorter stem than 20 years ago.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,644
    I’m 6’0, 89inch inseam, 8 inch penis and ride a 56cm frame.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • singleton
    seanoconn said:

I’m 6’0, 89inch inseam, 8 inch penis and ride a 56cm frame.

It's surprising that you would volunteer information about your small penis.
  • seanoconn
    I’ve come to terms with the cards god dealt me.
  • shirley_basso
    thats a heck of an inseam
  • singleton

Didn't even notice that... 6 foot person with a 7+ foot inseam... :D
  • seanoconn
    singleton said:

Too busy thinking about my penis.
  • shirley_basso
    seanoconn said:

singleton said:

Too busy thinking about my penis.
    Didn't take long
  • Thanks for your replies, even Seanoconn although I hope not to see him in his lycra :):).

The bike I currently have is a 59cm with 110 stem, hence why I think I'm over stretching.
  • MattFalle
    singleton said:

that's mega.

he's like Inspector Gadget.
  • ibr17xvii said:

I'm bang on 6 feet tall, I have a Ribble R872 in Large & it fits me pretty well.

This is the model I’m looking at, would you recommend it.

• I would do a double check the bike is adjusted correctly for you, ie. Saddle height, fore and aft position then see if you are putting less weight on your hands.
    If looking at a new bike and between recommended sizes I would suggest getting the smaller, more likely to be comfortable.
  • ibr17xvii

ibr17xvii said:

I've only had it 5 months but had no problems so far in about 1200k of riding.

Bought it on the CTW scheme, the whole process was seamless & Ribble were spot on with their timescales of delivery.

I think the bike is good value & my overall experience was spot on so yes I'd recommend it.
  • ibr17xvii said:

ibr17xvii said:

Bought it on the CTW scheme, the whole process was seamless & Ribble were spot on with their timescales of delivery.

I think the bike is good value & my overall experience was spot on so yes I'd recommend it.
    Thanks for that, I’ve made an appointment for Friday and they’ll do a bike fit for me.
  • I would do a double check the bike is adjusted correctly for you, ie. Saddle height, fore and aft position then see if you are putting less weight on your hands.
    If looking at a new bike and between recommended sizes I would suggest getting the smaller, more likely to be comfortable.

I was out last night with a mate and he reckoned the saddle was far to low, I’ll adjust and try a ride this weekend.
  • ibr17xvii

ibr17xvii said:

ibr17xvii said:

Thanks for that, I’ve made an appointment for Friday and they’ll do a bike fit for me.

Good luck, hopefully they have a model in your size available.

The website's stock level don't look that great though unfortunately.
  • ibr17xvii said:

ibr17xvii said:

ibr17xvii said:

Good luck, hopefully they have a model in your size available.

The website's stock level don't look that great though unfortunately.
    According to the Website they have a large (assuming that’s my size) in the R872 and Endurance SL available for May delivery, they also have ex display models for a few £ cheaper.
  • I tried moving my saddle but it’s stuck 😂😂 I’ve sprayed wd40 but no joy, will try again tomorrow.
  • MattFalle

I tried moving my saddle but it’s stuck 😂😂 I’ve sprayed wd40 but no joy, will try again tomorrow.
    if it still stuck, saddle off, seat post in vice, use the bike as the lever

please don't go hitting things with hammers unless you're also prepared to set them on fire and lob them into next door's garden.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    And I'd apply plenty of penetrating oil for a couple of days first - give it the best chance of coming out - stuck seat posts can be a proper pita.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]