Extremely hard to fit tyres (GP5000 TL)

Hi, I recently purchased a new (to me) bike that came fitted with Hunt Aerodynamicist 45mm carbon wheels, with Conti GP5000 TL tyres setup tubeless.

I wasn't clued up on tubeless so after consideration I thought id be better off removing the tyres clearing out the sealant etc. Then fitting tubes so at least being able to make it home if caught out on a ride by changing a tube as normal.

Whilst I managed to remove the tyres OK I simply cannot get them back on the wheels either with our without an innertube.

I've watched several YouTube vids, (even one where some guy puts them on by hand with not even a tyre lever), I made sure the beads are in the narrowest part of the centre channel, tried tyre levers, a tyre pull tool and there is no way I'm getting them back on without damaging the wheels.

I'm guessing the beads are less flexible due to being the tubeless version of the tyre and happy to purchase new standard GP 5000's but just a bit concerned that I'll still struggle to fit them as well.

I want to be confident I'll be able to get the tyres off/on whilst out on a ride.

Does anyone know if the standard GP5000's might be a bit more flexible then the tubeless version, or any other similar tyre that is known to be an easier fit.

Grateful for any advice.
Mark

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,196
    Basic question: have you used the soapy water to make the rims slippier?

ANO question: if you're struggling to get the tyres off / on at home, why not stay tubeless, arm yourself with plugs just in case, avoid a major faff to fit a new inner tube out on the road?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have the tubed version of GP 5000 and they are pain to fit, I have snapped levers trying to get the tyre back on.
    You need a Tyreglider.
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    The TL is possibly the tightest fitting tyre out there, so I avoid. I do find the normal 5000 tight, but doable on all my wheels, including Mavics which are usually the hardest to get a tyre on.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    An absolute bar steward of a tyre to get on.

I missed 2 weeks of sunny weather on my new build bike trying to get the tyres on.

Ended up getting them on with a hairdryer to heat them up a wee bit and a mate to add grunt!

Binned them when they were worn and replaces them with Hutchison. A dream to fit!
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    GP5000TL and Hunt wheels are a complete nightmare. Impossible to get on at the best of times, nevermind roadside with levers.

I'd just get some darts and keep your sealant fresh. The darts should work, except when you tear/ puncture the sidewall.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    In my opinion the harder they are to fit the better. The worst problem you can have with a tubeless tyre is a puncture that sealant does not seal ( probably caused by your sealant drying up ) and the tyre becoming unseated on the rim. My theory is that the harder they are to get on ,the harder they will be to unseat on the rim.
    I had a walk home after this problem with a Cero wheel and Hutchinson tyre. They fitted dead easy by hand . Its GP5000 every time for me and yes they are hard to fit.
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    Oh I disagree with this. I've torn the sidewall on a GP5000 and impossible to fix roadside, and sealant doesn't really work on sidewall tears.
  • msimkin
    msimkin Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the info/feedback:

My main reason for asking was that I wasn't too sure about going tubeless and was simply going to put innertubes in the existing GP 5000TL's. But as I really really struggled to get them back on the rims sat at home I thought this wouldn't be any good out on a ride if I had to replace a tube.

I did eventually manage to get the GP 5000's back on the wheels without the tubes in - but it was such a struggle, I thought I'd actually broken a rim at one point. Even when on, I could only get one to re-seat (snap on) the rim.

I've therefore decided to go for a set of Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance thanks to those who recommended them. They were still quote tight to get on but the fact I didn't need tyre levers and would be confident if I had to remove one whilst out on a ride is such a relief.

The question now is do I go tubeless or put innertubes in ? I will probably give tubeless a go, I have a repair kit and sealant etc. for the seat bag. I guess worst case I could always carry an innertube for an emergency (even if it would be a really messy business).
  • Birzman tubeless levers ,you're welcome
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    tyre glider. simple as that.
  • tri-king
    tri-king Posts: 180
    I recently upgraded to the GP 5000 clinchers and thoroughly regret it! I can't get the bloody things on my token carbon wheelset and removing them is also problematic so much so that I will be going to another manufacturer who makes a product which isn't such an arduous effort to achieve the most simplest of tasks! Looking online I'm not the only one to find this problem with the gp5000s being ridiculously tight. Sadly the trustee 4,000 S's have been discontinued and I can find nowhere else to source them
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    I bought an almost complete bike off ebay with Hunt aero wide rims and the cheap tyres were so hard to remove (I wanted GP5000's on them) that I ended up cutting them off.
    Trying to get the GP5000's on was worse. I gave up. I thought what is the point of having them because you could end up by the roadside having a fight with them when changing a tube should be a 2 min job.
    So I thought I may keep them and then what, freezing cold/wet hands on a cold, tight tyre.
    Sold the frikkin cHunt wheels.

The OP could of course put them on and off again a few times and they will get a little slacker but what a faff.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Welcome to the world of tubless, you obviously didn't go on the 2 year upper body weightlifting course to be able to fit GP5000's on carbon rims.
  • froze
    froze Posts: 213
    You need stronger tools; the strongest tire levers are the Lezyne Power Lever XL; then you also need a KoolStop Tire Bead Jack.

Combine the tools with soapy water and should be able to get the tire on fairly well. The Glider tool doesn't have enough leverage due to the small hand area you have to hold. The Kool Stop, instead of lifting the tire up and away from the rim, then over the top of the rim, taking up valuable space, it instead slides the tire bead up the rim then the bead pops into place on the rim, taking up no extra space to do this.

Ask me how I know all of this!

Thanks for asking! I had to put on a pair of Schwalbe Almotion TL tires, these were a pain, I broke two Soma steel core levers, and a Pedro lever, and almost broke my VAR tire lever which works the same way as the Koolstop but it's not as strong as the Koolstop, and the Glider about ripped my hand open, plus once the room between the tire and the rim disappeared there was no hope of the Glider working.