Cannondale SL

Guys,
I'm having a nightmare with my sons SL
I want to get the LH crank off so I can fit a new chainring and chain.

Most of the extractors I can see on eBay are not what I want.

The left hand threaded portion in the crank is about 25mm diameter. I can not find an extractor that fits.
Most I see appear to be 20mm

If any member can send me a link or maybe lend me the tool for the job, it would be appreciated.

I hate having to pay a bike shop to do a job I can do myself in 5 minutes, provided I have the right tool.

Finally, I would like to know what brand of cranks are fitted to Cannondales. The bike is a few years old and not modern. Shimano, SRAM, who knows.

I can upload images if need be.

Rgds

Michael

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited March 2022
    SL is a ‘trim’ level not a model name.
    Can you be more specific on the model of bike?

Images will help to identify the year of the bike.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,655
    Depending on just how old this is, if the cranks are branded "CODA" which was the in-house Cannondale parts brand, they are probably made by Sugino. But that stopped back around 2000.

More recently they have their own proprietary "Hollowgram" style of cranks on some - not all - bikes. These do have a specific tool to remove them - Google that and see if it's what you need.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • xf8u
    xf8u Posts: 9
    Thanks for info.
    Please see attached images, which may help.

Michael.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    That crank has a self extractor. Put the bolt (on the right of the second picture) back in, and then fit the self extracting collar (on the left of the second picture). You'll want to tighten this down with something like circlip pliers. Then, undo the bolt again, which will push against the collar and remove the crank arm.
  • JBA
    That’s a Suntour Zeron chain set.
    As whyamihere says, the crank arm is self-extracting. If you search on YouTube you will find video guides to removing and replacing them.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • xf8u
    Ok, cheers guys. I had a feeling that was the case but wanted to double check.
  • xf8u
    Guys,
    I now have the cranks off and stripped down. I had to apply some heat to the crank in order to pull it off. It was locked on real tight.
    Ok, so my next question is the replacement chainring. The Suntour item I removed is junk.

One of the mounting slots on the Suntour chainring is longer than the others.
    I have looked on eBay for a replacement with 6mm offset. Is this the GXP type?

Please see link and let me know if this is suitable.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123894218966?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item1cd8abc0d6:g:Q30AAOSwgvVdZ3Ku&amdata=enc:AQAGAAAA4MW3w357anchuca4OLAEODZPiHfvRikTcogb66fCGROUF1iHg3DmP9VudlGObtM89PSU+LF/W6tuEbUnE7LF62/S93lu1S6kUMQ/fUI6Xc6PhokTyni3UIDS+e8EMoOJXDEtoAav6xX51udzUPoG3kEXo2F4bQ+K5XmjuYN7pky0t8TMnY3pHGfbJA/3ivya1ZY0fJkX0k8XBoX9LwA0FRij6gBM4ZpsAZ28vSsi25UMe2b764hXcRX+mySvPUY/ENAoU/ZGjU6X+5Ryz/e2ITY/X+D45JfOKOlmZ4jOYVBC|tkp:BFBMiu3l4PVf

Rgds
    Michael.
  • JBA
    edited March 2022
    Judging by that photo the chainring doesn't look excessively worn.
    Are you changing it because he wants a different size?

• xf8u
    No, I wanted to replace both the chainring and chain together. Good practice so to speak. If the original chainring is still useable I will keep it.

Michael.