Brompton Crankset upgrade

Hi all,
Hopefully this is the right place to post this.
I am planning on upgrading the Crankset on my Brompton and I am after a little advice as I am sure others have done something similar.
My bike is the 2012 type with the one piece crankset and Chainring. I want to replace it.
1. I believe I also need to change the Bottom Bracket to a JIS 119mm type. Is this correct and has anyone tried different brands with any benefits?
2. I am thinking of going with a LitoPro Crankset, any thoughts? I prefer the look and I think they are lighter to Bromptons own. I was looking at this website.https://liteprobicycle.com/collections/litepro-crankset. Are the ebay ones mostly copies?
3. Has anyone had any issues with pedals not folding with Non Brompton cranksets?
4. I presume to do the change it is only as difficult as changing a Bottom Bracket normally? Are there any modifications required to the Brompton frame?
Thanks

Gavin

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,241
    Waste of time… a Brompton weighs about 11-12 kg and you might be able to save 100g by replacing the chain set. The original comes with a 54T ring, which is difficult to source from other brands… Other than that, yes, you can replace the chainset
    left the forum March 2023
  • bob7896
    bob7896 Posts: 18
    Thanks, but I wasn't thinking of doing it to save weight. Anyone else got any more useful inputs?
  • ugo.santalucia
    bob7896 said:

Thanks, but I wasn't thinking of doing it to save weight. Anyone else got any more useful inputs?

But you said
    I prefer the look and I think they are lighter to Bromptons own
  • ugo.santalucia
    I've seen many crankset conversions... normally people do it to have access to different gear ratios, typically a reduced range, although Brompton also sell a 50T ring.
    Replacing the BB is like replacing any BB, you need to make sure the chainline is not severely compromised (spindle length) and you need to make sure the ring doesn't jam into the frame... You can look at Kuosac bits and bops, as they are designed to pimp up Bromptons.
    The folding pedal is not an issue, why would it be?