Shimano CS-HG500-10 cassette compatability

yost72
yost72 Posts: 51
I bought this in a package with a chain from Chain Reaction Cycles. I got my usual guy to fit it, but when he tried it wouldn't work properly seemingly because there are some rivets on the largest cog, which meant that although it is fine when pedalling it was not possible to freewheel or pedal backwards. He tried a variety of different spacers to no avail. I have Cero AR30 wheels. Does this sound right? I assume the cassette isn't faulty, but I don't know why it won't fit, so I'm currently stuck with a cassette I cannot use and cannot now return.

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    pics/video please - that sounds really weird.

he is running the right speed chain with the cassete, yah? ie 9 speed chain, 9 speed cassette and so on....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    what does it do when you freewheel or pedal backwards?
  • yost72
    He's gone now so I cannot replicate it. It was a 10 speed cassette and a 10 speed chain. He tried a 105 cassette he had and that was fine so it's something a bit odd with the cassette. I cannot describe it technically but this cassette has 3 rivets which stopped it sitting flush, and he said this is what was causing the problem.

• MattFalle
    Those are fine, loads of cassettes have them

won't make any difference at all.

what does it do pedalling backwards?

• yost72
    The guy I use said that it wouldn't freewheel or backpedal once torqued. He tried a thinner spacer and a shaped one because once tightened the rivets were rubbing on certain parts of the washer and pushing the washer onto the side of the hub. He tried it with no washer and it was fine, but then it had some play because it's an 11 speed freehub. It freewheeled fine with no torque. My wheels are Cero AR30.