Chainset Shifter compatibility.

Would there be any problem using Tiagra 9 speed levers with a Tiagra 4700 10 speed chainset? I'm not sure if there is any significant spacing difference between 9 and 10 speed chainrings.

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Nope. none. will work fine.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • dandl
    dandl Posts: 24
    Thanks very much. That helps a lot.
  • I haven't had any problems as well
  • dandl
    That's good. I want to update my daily hack as it has gained a bit of a mix and match of components over the years. It is basically an 8 speed triple at the moment but having got hold of a new Tiagra 10 speed 50/34 chainset and BB quite cheaply and already having a 9 speed rear mech, I would just need a pair of 9 speed levers, a double front changer and a 9 speed cassette and I could get myself a 9 speed double which would do me just fine. It would be much cheaper than going 10 speed as well.
  • MattFalle
    if you fancy a mad punt you could go Exustar Chinese off the Bay and go full 11 speed for £150

gets alright reviews as well
  • dandl
    Must admit, new one on me but their pedals, shoes and cleats seem to get very good reviews.
  • MattFalle
    Worth a punt?

as above, a few good reviews kicking around and there was some dude who did a whole load of vids about he built up his bike completely from Chinese parts to prove a point and he reckoned it was pretty darn good for the money.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    MattFalle said:

Worth a punt?

as above, a few good reviews kicking around and there was some dude who did a whole load of vids about he built up his bike completely from Chinese parts to prove a point and he reckoned it was pretty darn good for the money.

TraceVelo?
  • dandl
    Just a final question connected with my original question. Is the geometry of all Shimano road rear mechs the same with the rear mech steps governed only by the shift lever? I know you wouldn't want to do it but if you used an 11 speed lever with an 8 speed mech, would the rear mech index in 11 speed spacing?
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    The cable pull must match between RD and shifter or it won't index properly, and that's changed between older 8-10 speed and newer Tiagra and 11-speed AFAIR.
  • MattFalle
    thistle_ said:

MattFalle said:

Worth a punt?

TraceVelo?
    thars your man - grazie.

i've only flicked through some of his stuff but he seems alright, better than that belter - northern bloke, trying to be overly happy - who does up old bikes averagely.