10 yr old cassette design options

Hi guys,

Quick one. I run Ultegra 6700 (10 speed) on my bike.

I've been putting off buying a new cassette as the the price has shot up to £60 odd but I've reached the point where it's now unrideable so I need a new one.

It will likely take a month and £60 odd pounds to buy an Ultegra 6700 cassette (12-30). Does anyone have any experience with alternative cassettes that will run on Ultegra 6700 that might be easier to get hold of - and may even be cheaper?

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Why would you need a 30 sprocket in your neck of the woods.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    webboo said:

Why would you need a 30 sprocket in your neck of the woods.

So I don't need to swap out a cassette when I go somewhere else, mainly.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Anything 10 speed will work - SunRace are currently £30ish from Merlin, basically weigh the same and last just as long.

SRAM, 105, etc.

Also try the 'Bay - I've recrntly bought a couple of Dura Ace cassettes for around £50 brand new inc postage.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    edited March 2022

£25

done.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Look for air-bike on eBay. Bought one for my flat bar conversion. Not the lightest but seems decent for a lot less cash than the big names. Shifts perfectly well.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Looks like Ultegra 6700 is the main option for 12-30, but there is stock to be found. There is also this Miche one for £45.

If you go to 11-28 for example, you can pick up a Suntour cassette in Decathlon for £22 or 12-28 Shimano for £28 (minus usual £5 voucher).
  • rick_chasey
    Is there a noticeable difference in shifting performance if you start mixing and matching brands?

I.e. would that Miche cassette for example shift noticeably more poorly than the equivalent ultegra?
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I think it will be fine. 10 speed is less fussy than 12 and my cheap Chinese 12-speed cassette from AliE shifts perfectly with AXS.
  • MattFalle
    edited March 2022

Is there a noticeable difference in shifting performance if you start mixing and matching brands?

I.e. would that Miche cassette for example shift noticeably more poorly than the equivalent ultegra?

none at all. nothing. zilch. rien.

ultegra is nothing special.

it will all work fine because its designed to.
  • rick_chasey
    bobones said:

Looks like Ultegra 6700 is the main option for 12-30, but there is stock to be found. There is also this Miche one for £45.

If you go to 11-28 for example, you can pick up a Suntour cassette in Decathlon for £22 or 12-28 Shimano for £28 (minus usual £5 voucher).

Thanks.

FYI, the depor village stuff looks cheap, but they stick on £17 postage...
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Just ride a cheaper, low range cassette day to day and save the 12-30 for the rare forays out of region.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508

bobones said:

Thanks.

Air-bike 11-28 for £21. UK based so shipping will be a few quid. Like I say, seem as good as anything else…

https://airbike.uk/products/10-speed-road-bike-cassette-fits-shimano-sram-11-28t
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,208
    I swear by Tiagra on my 10 speed TT bike. Reasonable price, plenty of different ratios, decent availability (as current system)

No point in paying Ultegra money for the fancy coating and the loss of about 30 grams
  • MattFalle
    does it have a fancy coating? i never realised.

whats it meant to do?
  • super_davo
    Ultegra has a zinc oxide coating to lower friction & prevent rust. It's why Ultegra cassettes are a dull grey and 105 are shiny.

But if your cassette is rusting, I hate to think what your chain would look like.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2022

Ultegra has a zinc oxide coating to lower friction & prevent rust. It's why Ultegra cassettes are a dull grey and 105 are shiny.

But if your cassette is rusting, I hate to think what your chain would look like.

About the same tbh though chain is newer than cassette
  • MattFalle

gotcha.

so if you keep your chain and cassette clean and suitably lubed ypu'll get the same result and save £25, yah?
  • super_davo
    Tiagra 12-28 for £28 delivered https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Shimano-CS-HG500-10-speed-cassette_83845.htm?

If you go somewhere mountainous they go up to 34 T (but you will need a medium cage mech).
  • johngti said:

bobones said:

Thanks.

Air-bike 11-28 for £21. UK based so shipping will be a few quid. Like I say, seem as good as anything else…

https://airbike.uk/products/10-speed-road-bike-cassette-fits-shimano-sram-11-28t
    Shipping is free in the UK. I just installed and used an airbike cassette at the weekend. Silent running and good shifting.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2022
    Cool. I ordered the airbike cassette. Thanks for the advice - would not have found that otherwise. Could buy 3 of those for an Ultegra version.

A little annoying as I'm swapping out a useful 30t for a useless 11t for no other gain but I guess that's the market we're in, parts wise.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,946

Cool. I ordered the airbike cassette. Thanks for the advice - would not have found that otherwise. Could buy 3 of those for an Ultegra version.

A little annoying as I'm swapping out a useful 30t for a useless 11t for no other gain but I guess that's the market we're in, parts wise.

I'll be interested in your feedback :)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    daniel_b said:

I'll be interested in your feedback :)
    Me too
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,174

I've held off upgrading from 10 to 11 speed because all I'll gain is a useless (for me) 11 tooth cog. And now 12t highest is getting uncommon.
    While I'm not very strong, there are a lot more cyclists below me. Really don't understand why makers are so keen on 11T cogs.
  • rick_chasey

Update. It works fine, shifting is fine. Definitely noisier than the Ultegra version.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    edited April 2022
    Mad_Malx said:

.... Really don't understand why makers are so keen on 11T cogs.

Compact or 1x at the front.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Got to fit it later to a new wheel for my Marasa, but bought my first ever cassette with a smallest sprocket of 12T the other day, 9-speed Shimano 12-36 for ~£26. I don't like using Amazon for bike stuff, but...

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LGLYYRM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo