Mineral dot4 dot 5? Help

Hi. I have a 2006 GT avalanche. Hayes sole brakes. Spongy as hell. Checked epic kits for doing it myself. But don't know what brake fluid I need. Any ideas?
Thanks

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    DoT 3 or 4. Try Google.
    4 is likely to be most common and easy to get hold of.
  • Dot 4, video on utube of somebody doing it.
    should of used giantorangecannon
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,651
    Judging by the state of the corrosion on the outside of that brake lever, the age of the bike and brakes, and what you describe in your other thread on the same subject; I'd be inclined to junk the lot and put some shimano brake set on there. DOT 3/4 brake fluid is Hygroscopic i.e. it will absorb water over time. This will lead to corrosion in the pistons and levers and also break down the rubber seals. Hayes have never had very good reviews. (Google Hayes Sole). I had them on an old 29" MTB and they were pants.
    You may be lucky and get them working again after a good bleed but if it was me I'd have a nagging doubt in the back of my mind just how long they'll last and if they'll stop me on a long decent. They are 16 years old and look like they've never been looked after. Anyway - it's your choice.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Just look on eBay for a “new” set of brakes. I got some Tektro hydraulic brakes for £30 that work really well. Much safer bet.
  • I thought you guys might say that.
    Good call.
    Dont want to shoot straight through a hedge !!
    My partner has Tektro brakes and they seem really good. Which ones did you get and are there a shimano version at about the same price.

PS when you buy brand new brakes do they come all put together or do you need to get a kit to install them?

You can tell ive never dealt with brakes before !! Doh

Cheers
    J
    Cheers
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217

PS when you buy brand new brakes do they come all put together or do you need to get a kit to install them?

They normally arrive fully assembled, sealed and bled and you just bolt them on.

Make sure you get a set with the levers on the correct sides, or some brakes are reversible so you can just flip the levers over to use them on the other side.

You might need to shorten the rear hose - the brakes will come with hoses long enough for a big full suss DH bike but I think the Avalanche is shorter. There are videos on YouTube showing how to do this, you will need a new barb to go in the end of the cut hose which may/may not come with the new brakes.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508

I thought you guys might say that.
    Good call.
    Dont want to shoot straight through a hedge !!
    My partner has Tektro brakes and they seem really good. Which ones did you get and are there a shimano version at about the same price.

You can tell ive never dealt with brakes before !! Doh

Cheers
    J
    Cheers

You just need to keep an eye out/do a search. Suspect you need post mount callipers. So this is a brand new rear brake, for example - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334214934829?epid=22040454077&hash=item4dd0c3312d:g:n2UAAOSw1uNhhABQ

Look for used and you’ll save some cash. If you’re not going to be doing properly serious downhill mountain biking, you don’t need to go mad with super-powerful brakes.
  • ok cheers
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    My Hayes brakes look like that and still work great. Definitely worth a bleed kit.

I've bled the Hayes brakes once at each end since 2004. My shimano m615s need bleeding once a year.