Is it worth waxing your chain, cost or getting the parts to new chain/s?

Hi All,
I've been mulling over waxing my summer bikes drive chain as got a new chain but wondered how others feel about the initial cost.
I've dropped a link to the type of waxing I'm considering covered in detail by the Oz cycle link, he's done a few videos over the years so seems thorough.

https://youtu.be/GmhX3G8pm5M

The chain in the link has been paraffin waxed with PTFE powder added. Covered 12,000km and still OK.
Costs are £15 for PTFE, £8 for P/wax, then there's meths,isopropyl alcohol and petrol. So around £40+ to set up.
Can anyone who is waxing/PTFE their chains comment on what you think are the Pros and Cons, plus any advice please.
Regards. Tony

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,270
    i take the easy option and use ufo's drip wax

strip new chains of grease in an ultrasonic cleaner with cleaner then water, heat to dry, apply ufo drip wax

after initial application it takes little to re-lube, one drop per roller, a bottle lasts a long time, re-lube is done without removing the chain (though i have connex links on them for easy swapping)

i have 4 chains, use them in rotation over the year to reduce overall chain-cassette wear rate

pro: clean drivetrain even in very dusty conditions, low friction, low wear, independent tests show it's among the best, travel*

con: none for me

* important for me is that ufo drip is practical for travel, i head overseas at least a couple of times a year, 6-7 weeks riding, not interested in packing a hot pot, wax etc.
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    edited March 2022
    I'm a boil waxer in summer. I don't do it for the clean fingers when you touch the chain experience. I put oil and graphite/moly in the mix, so it's not `clean`, but easily lasts 1000 miles between dips and stays on in the rain.
    Chain life is superb (10000 miles) and it's low maintenance. I've tried the dry wax (no oil) approach, but never liked it.
    I find using microcrystaline wax as well as paraffin wax works best.
    One thing I noticed was that KMC chains never work well, all other makes do. I think the KMCs might have a coating on the pins that the wax doesn't adhere to.