Changing to 1X

So below is my current bike set up and I’m thinking of changing to the 1X using the chainset below.
I mainly do cross country & trails nothing extreme as I’m too old an not technical.

https://www.norco.com/bike-archives/2015/charger-71/ Is it a worthy substitution and what else would be required? TIA

https://www.norco.com/bike-archives/2015/charger-71/
Shimano M5100 Deore 10-11 Speed Single Chainset

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited March 2022
    There are plenty of suitable crankset/options available for a narrow/wide chainring. That part is simple enough and not really an issue.

The trouble is at the back end, you'll likely be better off with a the rest of the 1x basics including a newer (clutched derailleur for rougher ground) which will also accommodate the use of a wider/bigger cassette for decent low range/climbing gears.

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    First off, don’t bother with the chain set. Just get hold of a single narrow wide ring and fit it onto the current crank with a new chain and see how it goes.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Do you use both of your chainrings at the moment?
    Can you try to just leave it in the large ring (38t) for a few weeks, ride your bike as normal and see how you get on?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    mully79 said:

First off, don’t bother with the chain set. Just get hold of a single narrow wide ring and fit it onto the current crank with a new chain and see how it goes.

this. about £15 off Amazon and they work perfect.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    MattFalle said:

mully79 said:

I did this with my Boardman 2x10.
    Just had to move the drive side BB spacer to the other side to help alignment, I got a cheap Snail brand just to give it a go, it's still on 800miles later,all is fine.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    gomezz said:

MattFalle said:

mully79 said:

I did this with my Boardman 2x10.
    Just had to move the drive side BB spacer to the other side to help alignment, I got a cheap Snail brand just to give it a go, it's still on 800miles later,all is fine.
    top work!

yup, nothing ventured nothing gained.

i've used 4 Chinese ones now - all same brand admittedly but all in the same sub £20 bracket - and work perfect.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.