Cleaning drive chain with bike on turbo

My bike has done a few hundred km from new, solely on the turbo. I desperately want to clean the drivechain with my park tools cycclone chain cleaner. If I shift into the middle of the cassette so the chain isn't too near the turbo, is there any reason why I couldn't clean it in situ? I'll protect the turbo with newspaper etc so nothing gets splashed onto it.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited February 2022
    Why I don’t think I’ve cleaned the chain on my turbo bike for about 2 years. I wouldn’t clean my other bikes chains if they done a few 100Ks in the dry. I.e 2 or 3 weeks riding.
    When I do clean the chain on the turbo just take it off, stick a back wheel in and clean it as normal.
  • webboo said:

Why I don’t think I’ve cleaned the chain on my turbo bike for about 2 years. I wouldn’t clean my other bikes chains if they done a few 100Ks in the dry. I.e 2 or 3 weeks riding.
    When I do clean the chain on the turbo just take it off, stick a back wheel in and clean it as normal.

Sorry, I meant a few thousand (3500 km to be precise).
  • webboo
    Another option if you really don’t want to take it off the turbo is to use one of those lubes that cleans as well as lubes.
    Rock and Roll gold is one, I guess there will be others.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    Can it be that dirty from only turbo use?

The chain on my turbo bike just gets cleaned once in a while by running it through a rag with plenty of GT85 sprayed on it. I then use some of the Rock n Roll lube mentioned above which draws out dirt if you give it a good wipe afterwards.
  • mrb123 said:

The chain on my turbo bike just gets cleaned once in a while by running it through a rag with plenty of GT85 sprayed on it. I then use some of the Rock n Roll lube mentioned above which draws out dirt if you give it a good wipe afterwards.

I think its metal particles from the chain wearing, plus small amount of dust from the air.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    You will get whatever you clean the chain with on the turbo. Totally up to you.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Just a thought, but what about taking the bike off the turbo and cleaning it outside..?
  • webboo
    neilp2000 said:

mrb123 said:

I think its metal particles from the chain wearing, plus small amount of dust from the air.
    Mines in a garage with the washer, tumble drier, oil boiler, climbing wall and spiders. So it gets covered in fluff, dust, climbing chalk and spiders webs but as I said above. It doesn’t get that dirty not so I notice any issues.
    The wobbly bottom bracket usually distracts me.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,415

Just a thought, but what about taking the bike off the turbo and cleaning it outside..?

There’s an outside?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Just a thought, but what about taking the bike off the turbo and cleaning it outside..?

Very good idea ... but I'm lazy :)
  • You will get whatever you clean the chain with on the turbo. Totally up to you.

Yeah, that was my main concern.
  • mrb123 said:

It's black, and started off g**d (sorry if that is a swear word)
  • imposter2.0
    seanoconn said:

There’s an outside?
    There is. I've seen it on the internet...
  • imposter2.0
    neilp2000 said:

Very good idea ... but I'm lazy :)
    Then don't bother maintaining your bike...
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    webboo said:

neilp2000 said:

mrb123 said:

Mines in a garage
    That'll make a change from the usual ladders, freezers, tumble driers, boxes etc. Pretty strong reason for "not quite fancy trainering tonight".
  • webboo
    me-109 said:

webboo said:

neilp2000 said:

mrb123 said:

Mines in a garage
    That'll make a change from the usual ladders, freezers, tumble driers, boxes etc. Pretty strong reason for "not quite fancy trainering tonight".
    Did I mention the cat fur as well. As it an integral garage the cats get shoved in there on a night. So there is the occasional dead mouse and cat Sh*t on the floor when they miss the litter tray.
    But the chain on my turbo bike really isn’t that dirty.
  • First.Aspect
    webboo said:

me-109 said:

webboo said:

neilp2000 said:

mrb123 said:

Mines in a garage
    Did I mention the cat fur as well. As it an integral garage the cats get shoved in there on a night. So there is the occasional dead mouse and cat Sh*t on the floor when they miss the litter tray.
    But the chain on my turbo bike really isn’t that dirty.
    Do you think you are the right sort of person to look after animals?
  • webboo
    I’m not too sure on that but they seem to think I’m the one. I get up to feed them and then they follow round leap on the bed when I’ve gone back to bed to read and finish my coffee. They also want to sit on my lap and rub my shins and bring me presents of dead things.
    Either I smell like a cats bottom or they do like me.
  • First.Aspect
    Why do they get shoved in the garage at night?
  • webboo
    So they don’t wee, crap or throw up something they’ve killed and eaten on the carpet. Also so they don’t scratch the carpets or the paint off the doors trying to get in to the bedroom.
    They seem to be pretty reasonable in allowing us to share their bed with them but I do feel it’s a bit unreasonable to be woken up at 4:00 with a request to be stroked. Unless it’s by the missus.
  • First.Aspect
    Cats don't do closed doors. Didn't you read the leaflet that it came with?

You can avoid the 4 am thing by leaving a supply of some biscuits for them. Cats graze.

Can't help you with cats flinging dead or mortally wounded things around in glee, though. They are murderers. That was in the small print on the back of the leaflet.
  • webboo

Here are the horrors in question. Sadly Poppy the ginger one had to be put down just before Christmas.
    He’s buried in the field just in front of him.
  • First.Aspect
    No wonder you get a lot of squeakers brought in. Is similar where we live, only with hills.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Jeez, are you a bat? HTF do you sleep like that?
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    edited February 2022
    me-109 said:

Jeez, are you a bat? HTF do you sleep like that?

Maybe the name Webboo is a clue to his spider powers.