What Difference Does It Make?

so, I'm cycling at an average speed of around 40 kph at about 120 watts, and the guy I'm riding with is averaging the same speed at around 200 watts. What difference does it make?

Also, is there a decent bike that would be suitable as a TT, crit, and endurance bike? Been looking and there doesn't seem to be any. Don't want to be one of those cashed up old slow gits with all the kit when one bike would suffice.

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499
    I wish I could average 40kph at about 120 watts.
  • It's been my singular (obsessive) goal for over four months. I really, really want to be able to do 45, but I'm beginning to think 40 is my limit.
  • On a static bike, right?

Unless you are riding the same bike or measure power on the same device, it's meaningless.
  • Nah, on the static and the road. But always on the static and most of the time on the road
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Over what time and the same times?
  • 30 minute tt in covered velodrome. Friday nights they open it up to the donks.
  • Also!!!!!! My pedals are creaking. Think it's that r2d2 thingy. Wd40 works well. Should I get it replaced?
  • On a static bike, right?

Unless you are riding the same bike or measure power on the same device, it's meaningless.

But isn't wattage the gold standard? If not, then why does everyone talk about it like it is? Is trying to achieve a higher average wattage a waste of time and effort then? I'm confused.
  • Wattage is a standard, assuming the conditions, calibration and measurement are the same.

Two powermeters by different manufacturers, on the same bike, won't necessarily give the same reading.

I assume the guy requiring higher power is considerably bigger than you - as if the conditions are the same, I am guessing he is a lot less aero. Plus your power number seems very low.
  • Wattage is a standard, assuming the conditions, calibration and measurement are the same.

Two powermeters by different manufacturers, on the same bike, won't necessarily give the same reading.

I assume the guy requiring higher power is considerably bigger than you - as if the conditions are the same, I am guessing he is a lot less aero. Plus your power number seems very low.

I don't even understand what you mean by 'power number'. And yes, the other cyclist was bigger than me. So, should wattage be better understood in say, a 'per kilo' sense and extrapolated only to explain differences between rider's physiques?

I don't even understand what you mean by 'power number'. And yes, the other cyclist was bigger than me. So, should wattage be better understood in say, a 'per kilo' sense and extrapolated only to explain differences between rider's physiques?
    Power number as in 120 watts? If that is what you mean then, yes it seems low to me too. Which is why my peddling (cadence) resembles a rooster with its head chopped off. And is why I'm trying to increase my 'power number'.

Power number as in 120 watts? If that is what you mean then, yes it seems low to me too. Which is why my peddling (cadence) resembles a rooster with its head chopped off. And is why I'm trying to increase my 'power number'.
    And I use a cycle calculator to estimate my power. It's not exact, but it's pretty close if you put all the info in it correctly from the bike computer. Other guy had a power meter.That is all..
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited February 2022

30 minute tt in covered velodrome. Friday nights they open it up to the donks.

'Covered velodrome' - which one..? Not aware of any indoor velodrome in the UK which 'opens up to the donks' on Friday night - or any other night. They all have strict accreditation and session management controls in place and it simply wouldn't happen like that. Unless you can prove me wrong...

Top trolling, by the way..
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    This is comedy. Top work everyone.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

'Covered velodrome' - which one..? Not aware of any indoor velodrome in the UK which 'opens up to the donks' on Friday night - or any other night. They all have strict accreditation and session management controls in place and it simply wouldn't happen like that. Unless you can prove me wrong...

I think he might be in Adelaide as in one of his other ramblings. He says we should live there as their winter is like our summer.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,546
    If you want maximum speed at minimum watts then surely somewhere like beachy head would be better than a velodrome, although it would be a pretty short term solution.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    webboo said:

I think he might be in Adelaide as in one of his other ramblings. He says we should live there as their winter is like our summer.
    An Australian with a penchant for Smiths lyrics. Just when you think you've seen everything... ;)

Maybe we should all start referencing INXS or Men at Work lyrics, by way of retaliation...
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005

<blockquote class="Quote" rel="

Are you waving at other cyclists?

• webboo

webboo said:

An Australian with a penchant for Smiths lyrics. Just when you think you've seen everything... ;)

Maybe we should all start referencing INXS or Men at Work lyrics, by way of retaliation...
    On page 4 of Sundays normalising the thirteenth etc.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    So .... he comes from a land down under?
  • webboo
    He certainly makes me want to chunder.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    He’s just getting warmed up before launching “The Queen is Dead”
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499
    Mad_Malx said:

He’s just getting warmed up before launching “The Queen is Dead”

In that case, you'd better run, you'd better take cover.
  • 30 minute tt in covered velodrome. Friday nights they open it up to the donks.

Lol. I'm in Adelaide Einstein. Good effort though. Top marks
  • webboo said:

webboo said:

On page 4 of Sundays normalising the thirteenth etc.
    NOT Australian. Married one though.

Lol. I'm in Adelaide Einstein. Good effort though. Top marks
    Google cycling SA...all your concerns will be answered. Lol. Thanks for caring though.
  • webboo said:

Inxs and men at work are shite. How much can a koala bear!!!
  • monkimark said:

If you want maximum speed at minimum watts then surely somewhere like beachy head would be better than a velodrome, although it would be a pretty short term solution.

I got crabs from a beachy head once. Never again.
  • Mad_Malx said:

No. Avoid them like the plague. All they talk about is their sore genitals and the latest blend out of Madagascar.
  • webboo said:

Yes, I am. Unlike the UK we have a thing called infrastructure that everyone can use. Not just the toffs