Saris H3 vs Neo 2 Special Edition... With a bias towards low noise levels?

N0bodyOfTheGoat
N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
Anyone experienced both being used in anger?

My ~3.25 year old Direto is severely crippled after last Friday afternoon, in easiest gear (34/32) the resistance is ramped up and feels like I'm trying to begin pedalling in something like 50/15 from a dead stop. At ~80rpm, 34/32 is now ~180W, when it used to be ~40W... 34/25 is ~350W, I had three gears for racing on Zwift yesterday! :D:'(

I use my turbo frequently, especially in winter, typically at least five days a week. Despite seeing the Saris H3 and their rocker plate bundle "tumble" to ~£850 yesterday on the Halfords site https://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/smart-turbo-trainers/saris-h3-turbo-trainer-and-mp1-bundle-296798.html , I'm thinking The Tacx for ~£750 (a few places have it on promo currently including Wiggle).
================
2020 Voodoo Marasa
2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
2016 Voodoo Wazoo

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    I suppose the question is how much do you want the rocker plate?

The Neo SE is a better trainer than the H3, but not by a lot, and the H3 would serve you very well in its own right. The Saris rocker plate is scarily expensive on its own making the bundle a very good deal.

Personally I'd get the H3 bundle, use it as is for a bit, and if I didn't see any benefit from the rocker plate sell it. Bearing in mind Wiggle are selling it on its own for £750, £300 wouldn't be an unrealistic price to expect.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I use an H3 but can't really compare it to a Neo other than to say I don't have any issues with how loud it is.

I've had the H3 a year - use it most days in Winter so maybe 100 times and haven't had any issues. I paid about £550 in a sports direct sale - the bundle looks a good deal if you want a rocker plate - I've never used one.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited February 2022
    Well I really struggle from ~50mins on turbo rides and they usually become unbarable by ~90mins, so a rocker might help, I nearly bought the Lifeline Wiggle one for ~£160 last month. MP1 looks solidly built and DC Rainmaker gave it the thumbs up besides old crazy price.

The Saris H3 has a good rep for ERG matching and reliable race power data, but I worry a little about the noise. I've had to be very selective (like after 1000 and before 1830) to use my Direto because of the vibration noise that echos off the carpetted floorboards, annoying my better half and upsetting my downstairs neighbour.

The Neos are supposedly very quiet, like just your drivetrain makes a sound, plus they support up to ~25% gradient. Only slight concern is reading a few Wiggle reviews about buring smells and going pop just after a year, with Garmin then wanting you to pay postage cost of sending unit to them for repair/replacement... But I'm hardly a power god with ~300W over 20mins and ~600W for 15secs! :D

Direto is £400 at Wiggle at mo, which is great if you don't have noise concerns.

I've no idea how interested Elite would be in fixing my Direto at ~3.25 years old.

That Halfords H3/MP1 bundle is very good, especially if 10% British Cycling discount online code works, making it ~£765...

Argghhh!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I’ve binned Saris. Shocking customer service. Had a Hammer that was a month out of warranty. No repair service in this country. Had to bin it £800 down the drain. Will never buy Saris again, and advise any readers to think twice before spending your hard earned money on a company that has zero customer care after warranty has expired
  • Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 138
    OTOH, Saris have been good with me. They answered questions about my old Cycl-ops fluid trainer (which was about 20 years out of warranty!) and sent a replacement belt and pulley when my H3 started squeaking (in warranty, but absolutely no hassle).

The H3 is slightly louder than my drivetrain when the chain is freshly lubed, but the chain is louder when it wants a drop more oil. It's very heavy and solid, but out in the garage, so hard to tell how much vibration it may transmit.

Mine is placed on lumps of cut-up closed cell camping mat, which gives enough wobble to at least double the time I'm comfortable for (from an hour to at least 2)... I'd guess a proper rocker plate would be better again. The foam would also reduce vibration noises I guess, so it might be worth putting even a rocker plate on a mat of some kind if that's a big consideration for you.

I looked at every trainer and read 100's of reviews, forum posts, etc (unfortunately at the start of lockdown, but because the Cycl-ops died, not because of the pandemic!) ... I decided that every single one has some occasional problems, and that every company occasionally upsets some users... and then the H3 came up in stock at a good price so I grabbed one and have been very happy with its performance overall, and with Saris when it got the H3 pulley squeak.

It works noticeably more in sync with Zwift's visuals on BT than ANT+ for me, but again, reading the forums, you may find the opposite...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Interesting idea re. the camping mat might try something like that.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 138

Not really taken to show off the mat, but you can see the idea.

It was 7 or 8 quid from sports direct, so hardly a massive waste of money if you don't like it. Did take a bit of fiddling with how much to put under each leg (they are half-rolled to give a bit more flex) as it's not all centrally balanced with the bike on, but I've not messed with it for a year now and it's still fine :)
  • I'm still dithering on what to do, as a new turbo would use up a lot of my planned cycling budget this year, plus the Direto is borderline useable. Swaying slightly more towards that Saris bundle.

This was further complicated by the excess resistance seeming to be lower yesterday ( https://www.strava.com/activities/6712905460/analysis was all in 34/32 easiest gear)... Will be interesting to see what the resistance is like today.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Tbh when I come to replace my kickr I will probably look at the mid tier options rather than the high end, simply because they have evolved with trickle down tech so much that ride feel is in the same ball park and it's only things like max gradient and watt resistance that cost the extra.

Have you watched the reviews by Shane Miller (gplama) on YouTube?
    Also check out dcrainmakers turbo trainer buyer guide. These may help you decide.