New bike - £3k budget

Okay, new bike needed...sorry...wanted. Budget is around £3k, and the prerequisites are:
Aero, or 'fairly' aero - it would be a triathlon bike with added aero bars (which rules out the Canyon Aeroad I was looking at as there was no way of adding clip-ons).
As light as possible - ideally around 8kg or below.
Budget of £3k is approximate, could go a bit higher if necessary.
Immediate availability is not an issue, but preferably available before April.
the couple I have been focusing on are the Vitus ZX1 Evo

https://wiggle.co.uk/vitus-zx-1-evo-crs-road-bike-ultegra-2021

Or even the Vitesse Evo - less aero but lighter, and given my 'abilities' that might not be very noticeable:

https://wiggle.co.uk/vitus-vitesse-evo-crs-road-bike-ultegra-2021

And finally the Orro Venturi STC - which has a few models around the price point, but specifically

https://orrobikes.com/shop/2021-venturi-ultegra

Anyone have any other options I might not have thought of? Thanks.

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I just checked and you can specify the Ribble Ultra SL https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-ultra-sl-sport/
    with their own clip-on tri bars for £200.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,208
    Ribble looks amazing but you might get it for April 23.

The Vitus ZX1 is a great package with the wheels, pretty much ready to race on.. but the model you linked to is out of stock.

You will however be able to get hold of an Orro Venturi. I ordered one in 12 speed Di2 flavour a few weeks ago and it is due mid April i.e. nicely in your timeframes. They were amazing and let me change bar, stem, crank length when I ordered (which pushed out the build time). It's very light for an aero bike - reckon I can get it down to 7.5kg with 1400g wheels and a one piece bar (I've ordered a Yeoleo H9 bar that should hopefully arrive at the same time, wheels will be either Hunt 54 UD carbon spokes or Winspace Hyper depending on what comes in stock first).

I think you'd regret going for the older 11 speed ultegra; Orro are one of the few brands with the new 12 speed in stock & for not much over your budget. The main attraction for me is it's semi wireless considerably simplifying the process of putting new bars on.

If you're buying a bike for tri with clip on bars, you'll want it to be an aero bike. I'm sure it makes very little difference in the scheme of things but at least try to look the part!
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    edited February 2022
    Thanks Davo - how did you find the sizing for the Orro? I have compared the geometry with another bike I have and the medium is very similar - but I am only 172 tall with an inside leg of around 78cm, so I would normally gravitate to a Small.
    Also, what was the weight as standard on your Orro?
    Thanks.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,208
    I'm 170 and tried both the small & medium out in the shop before ordering. I have quite a "long & low" position and worried the small I couldn't get long enough, medium I couldn't get low enough. Settled for the medium, still plenty of seatpost showing & whilst the headtube sounds quite tall as the fork crown is low, I could still get plenty low enough.

Wiggle list the exact model you're after at 8kg dead. Bear in mind the wheels & tyres aren't super light (I'd expect to drop 200g moving to either of the sets I'm after, plus a further 100g changing to GP5000s), and the stem and bars on that model are positively anchors (my sub 400g one piece bar should drop 200g) that means without too much messing around I'll be at 7.5kg. I think that is very good for an Ultegra disc aero bike (the 2022 frame has dropped 80g from what was already quite a light frame). When I ordered I took my Ribble Endurance SL into the shop so I could match the measurements, and the difference in weight was very noticeable (in the hand at least).
  • Thanks again Davo - It looks like there is one M in Wiggle, and I get 12% off as a platinum member. Might be an expensive Friday!
  • rukirokeya
    rukirokeya Posts: 3
    edited July 2022
    I was looking at this mid last year, and liked the Fazua kit, and the Cairn would have suited me, but I went non-E bike in the end as I coulda get the C2W for the full value.
    It looks like a great bike, but good luck with what ever you choose!