Cressida Dick steps aside as head of the Met

124»

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    slowmart said:

Sir Mark Rowley, the Met Commissioner, has been front and centre in todays news. Thats leadership. He’s currently restructuring his leadership team, the change in tone and culture will need lower ranks to buy into and embed these beliefs and behaviours.

A culture change of this magnitude has been done before, when the RUC was abolished and replaced with the Police Service of Northern Ireland.

According to our despicable Home Secretary, there may be worse to come.

I don’t doubt many current officers will be thinking long and hard this evening about their personal responsibility, those officers who aren’t are probably looking over their shoulder with an eye on the exit. I suppose one indicator of forward movement will be the number of officers who leave the force with either a boot print on their behind or leave voluntarily with the writing on the wall.

Only the strong application of weeding out individuals who are unsuitable will accelerate and sustain change.

Interesting times but people will only start to look to the exit when they see established momentum moving against them.

I have been through a huge work upheaval on a scale several orders of magnitude smaller than the Met. Even then people think they can subvert progress right until the death. There will be plenty of places to hide for months and years to come in the Met due to its sheer size.

Problem is police are recruited by the police so the behaviours are naturally ingrained and self perpetuating.

Good luck to those turning the super tanker.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    If I were 20 years younger I'd think seriously about joining the police - I could see myself as a combination of Morse and Jack Regan - meeting informants in a backstreet boozer - seems quite attractive.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]