Tools for commute ?

At the moment im bassically carrying a small tool kit for my commute to work,im scared of getting stranded .It weighs way to much.can you recommend a way i can get around this ?what multi tool would you recommend and anything else i should carry ?

Cheers

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874
    A multitool which includes a chain breaker like below, a quick link, a spare inner tube, quick patches in case of multiple punctures/or whatever tubeless requires and a pump. Sorted.
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/birzman-e-version-15-mini-multi-tool
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,853
    edited February 2022
    What he said.
    And tyre levers
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited February 2022
    I carry a multi-tool with Allen keys and screwdriver fitting, folding pliers set with additional bits. Park Tool Chain Brute, spare chain master link, mini pump along with patches and an innertube.

Just in case a spare set of (disc) brake pads, cable ties for unusual hack fixes. All very compact and fits into a small front pouch on my backpack.

Edit: Oh yeah, two plastic tyre levers as well.
  • My commute is only just over 4 miles in, so I only carry a mini pump, tyre lever, repair kit and a couple of hex keys (4+5mm).

It would probably make more sense to replace the repair kit with a tube.

Issues on my commute, just like my recreational rides are extremely rare, I've had something like ~8 punctures in the last ten years; a drive side pedal thread shear and a freehub engagement failure.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673
    monkimark said:

What he said.
    And tyre levers

I use one of these
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275142765862?epid=21017941067&hash=item400fc96d26:g:e9YAAOSw-5Rh8~4T
    Has a chain tool and tyre levers. Also carry a split link, pump and some stick on patches, if tubeless some worms.
  • Thank you all very much .I also now carry a spare chain after braking one.Pushing my bike 11 mile was no fun .
  • pblakeney
    hixyhicks said:

Thank you all very much .I also now carry a spare chain after braking one.Pushing my bike 11 mile was no fun .

What Oxoman says.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • oxoman said:

TBH I wouldn't carry a full chain just a couple of links and you can shorten a damaged chain most of the time even if it limits your gear range.

Not when its 4.30 am and cant find the chain .
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    hixyhicks said:

oxoman said:

TBH I wouldn't carry a full chain just a couple of links and you can shorten a damaged chain most of the time even if it limits your gear range.

What's the back story to this?
  • 50x11 said:

hixyhicks said:

oxoman said:

The back story is im going downhill and the chain just came off.The chain just vanished under a vehicle i couldnt find it . Wont happen again.My bike takes a beating .150 mile a week .
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    hixyhicks said:

50x11 said:

hixyhicks said:

oxoman said:

The back story is im going downhill and the chain just came off.The chain just vanished under a vehicle i couldnt find it . Wont happen again.My bike takes a beating .150 mile a week .
    150 mile week is hardly a bike beating. I don’t commute but a couple of 100K plus rides and 2 short rides and I go over that and I don’t consider I have a high weekly mileage.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,156
    In 14 years of 2x8miles a day I never used more than tyre levers, spare tube and pump; less than 4 times. maybe a few more on slow flats that didn’t stop me reaching my destination. Had to ride with a snapped gear cable another couple of times.
    Barring accident, I don’t get why your bikes are falling to bits so much.
  • pblakeney
    hixyhicks said:

50x11 said:

hixyhicks said:

oxoman said:

Cheapest and lightest option is to get a chain checker.
    Veronese68 wrote: