Cassette too long for freehub?

Hi I bought a 10 speed VG sports cassette to replace my worn out Sunrace one. I have tried to fit it but the 11t cog sits higher up on the freehub body. I was able to fit the lockring and tightened it down as hard as possible. I could not however get the 11t cog with the derailleur. Is it ok to ride like this and is there anything that can be done to get the smallest cog? The hub is a generic Quando one and the old cassette was a 10 speed also. Thanks

Comments

• ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    Could be that you need to adjust your high limit screw on derailleur.
  • Hi I did that but would not reach it as the cog seems too far out. Also when tightening down the lock ring it did not make the normal clicking sound when it is tight. Thanks
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Have you removed all spacers from behind the cassette/freewheel?

presuming you've replaced 10 speed with 10 speed?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Hi there is no spacer behind the cassette on either the old or new ones.
  • Sorry yes both are also 10 speed 11-46t size
  • MattFalle
    Hi

Have you tried taking off and refitting? Sometimes cassettes do mad things - especially the smallest sprocket and just need a taking off, stern talking to and reseating to fit on the freewheel properly.
  • Hi will try that thanks
  • MattFalle
    Coolio

Also a chance to stack them against each other and just double check they are the same height.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    karakoram said:

Hi I did that but would not reach it as the cog seems too far out. Also when tightening down the lock ring it did not make the normal clicking sound when it is tight. Thanks

Did you disconnect the cable when you were trying to adjust the limit screw? If you still had tension on the cable it will stop the limit screw doing its job.