Carbon Wheel Set

2»

Comments

• I went DA for the front. Rear seems okay so far.
  • I went DA for the front. Rear seems okay so far.

Not sure you can still buy DA hubs.
    Hope should do the right hole count… I think 18 front…

left the forum March 2023
  • DA 9100 - malcolm did it. AS you say, 18h front.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,208
    The Zipps are superb wheels but the reason they are so light is they are hookless.
    This may or may not be an advantage if you plan on using tubeless, but it means you can't use a normal tubed clincher (i.e. tubeless or nothing).
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited February 2022
    you can still run a tube in a tubeless tyre though, as per this, so not a lot of change if you want to run the tubeless:

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/hookless-rims-road-tubeless/

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • super_davo
    To quote that article "It is possible to run a tube (e.g. in the event of a puncture that sealant won’t fix) but only in that same tyre – it’s not usually considered safe to swap to a standard clincher tyre."

So basically if you want to run standard clinchers, don't buy the Zipps.

Incidentally not sure where everyones prices are from - you can get the Zipps for c£800 which is ballpark with the Hunts. IMO the bog standard Hunts aren't worth it - you'd be better off with considerably cheaper Primes which are more or less identical - but the Aerodynamicist range is a step up for not that much more money. And the UD carbon spokes wheels are nicer still, and comparible in price to Winspace Hypers & Farsports Ventoux which are the only similar wheels around at the moment.
  • MattFalle
    edited February 2022
    So the answer to the OPs question is Zipps and Hunts are overpriced then.

Good good, glad to see we've cleared that one up.

• super_davo
    Zipps are a superb choice if you are a tubeless convert. Good price, aero, light.

If you're not... then I don't think the Hunt35s are a good choice @ £700. They are from Hunts original range which are just open mould rims with generic hubs and they do much better now. I would recommend Primes instead - you can get a bundle of the 50mm carbon disc with tyres for £450.

But not all Hunts are poor value, for slightly more but still comparible £850 the 44mm aerodynamicist are a pretty solid choice.
  • MattFalle
    or get a set of Primes that we have all agreed on many threads in the past perform just well, if not better and are far cheaper with all the back up, spares and useless tat in the box that you could want.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001

Incidentally not sure where everyones prices are from - you can get the Zipps for c£800 which is ballpark with the Hunts. IMO the bog standard Hunts aren't worth it - you'd be better off with considerably cheaper Primes which are more or less identical

But the Primes are 250-300g heavier and £100-180 cheaper depending on whether the Hunts are the 35 or 40 deep rims so not quite equivalent if you are considering quoted weights.

I'm not saying that the Hunt wheels are better or anything just that in terms of prices of equivalent specs the Hunt wheels really aren't that much different in price compared to the Prime wheels.