Broken Nipple Road-Side Fix?

I recently walked into my garage to find one of the spokes on my road bike was hanging off the wheel. On closer inspection I realised the nipple had sheared off at the point where it enters the rim.

New nipple has been fitted and it's all good to go, but, what could I have done if it had happened whilst on a ride? I know you can tape up broken spokes to get home but never heard of anyone doing the same with a nipple. Is it worth keeping a spare nipple in the spares bag?

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    if you don't mind carrying the required tools and you know how to repair it at the roadside then go ahead but MF says he wouldn't bother.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,903
    unless the wheel is so out of true that it's unrideable, just carry on and fix it at home

deforming is more likely to be a problem with low spoke count wheels, even then, if it's the rear that goes causing the rim to rub on the brake pads, open the rear caliper (or remove the pad), the front brake does most of the work - i rode back c. 20k like this including a steep descent

if one nipple failed, i'd have a good look at the others, if they're not brass perhaps there's some corrosion
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny