SRAM XPLR advice

Hi guys.
I’m looking for some advice about the mine field of SRAM 11/12 speed ETAP AXS/XPLR!

I have recently purchased a bike with SRAM 11 speed with the Rival 1x groupset.

I’m looking to upgrade this to an ETAP /components when stocks allow.

My question revolves around the compatibility of just adding a XPLR rear mech and shifters to my existing chain set and cassette with is an 11-42 and 42T up front. I gather that XPLR (either Red/Force/Rival) is all 12 speed and am just wondering around the compatibility.

I am obviously trying to work out if I need to purchase a whole groupset or just swap out a couple of components.

I know absolutely nothing about ETAP so any info would be great.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,707
    edited January 2022
    You would need to swap out the shifters (both of them, as eTap uses a button on either side for shifting), derailleur, cassette, freehub body and chain at least. The freehub body needs to be changed because the cassette needs an XDR body, depending on what rear wheel you have this could be an easy and cheap change or it might require a new hub/wheel. You might get away with not changing the chainring, but officially you would also need to change it to an AXS compatible one because the chain rollers are a different size.

If you can't fit an XDR driver to your current wheel, a potential option would be to use a GX Eagle AXS derailleur and an NX 11-50 cassette with an Eagle chain. This will give more range, but be a bit heavier. You'd definitely be able to keep the same chainring too as the Eagle chain uses standard sized rollers.
  • t_willo
    t_willo Posts: 16
    Wow. Thank you so much