Yet another wheelset...

In a recent service, my LBS informed me that my front Zonda had a very worn rim, and should consider replacing ASAP. It's annoying because the wheelset has been through only 2.5 winters and roughly 8000 km. Admittedly, at least 75% of those are commuting, and through a shared path that is well kept but kinda mucky in the winter, which is why the rim is gone.

Since I can't really be precious after every single commute, the true long term solution for the wheels is handbuilt. However, I find spending another £3-£400 on a wheelset for a 5 y.o. £700 bike a bit much, especially considering the fork doesn't seem to be in top shape:

At this point, what I really want is getting a new bike, with (gosh) disc brakes, so commuting is more reasonable in the pocket, and that little bit safer in the winter. But the market is what it is. There's nothing in stock, everything is super expensive.

It seems I could get a front Campagnolo Calima for about £62, or a full wheelset for £145 (at Condor, while everywhere else is £162). But somehow, Mavic Cosmics can be found now for £250. That seems too close to handbuilt (LBS suggests H+Sons Archetipe rims, Miche hubs for about £350), which I guess could be had in C2W. Except, of course, getting C2W wheels means it'll certainly be a year before I can buy a bike.

Thoughts?

Comments

• I applaud your ability to get 8k and 2.5 years out of a wheelset. Fulcrum are hard as nails ..... but that long is amazing.

My advice. Enjoy spending money on something you enjoy and forget the price within reason. You won't be able to use it when you are gone.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I have a set of Pro-Lites going quite cheap, but they are Shimano freehub. Sounds like you may be wanting Campag?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    me-109 said:

I have a set of Pro-Lites going quite cheap, but they are Shimano freehub. Sounds like you may be wanting Campag?

If he's running 11 speed I think Campag and Shimano cassettes are are effectively interchangeable. So he could run an 11 speed Shimano cassette on your Pro-Lites with a Campag 11-speed shifer set-up.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm running 10-speed tiagra, so no compatibility issues at all.
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 160
    Planetx have some deals on disc brake bikes when I was looking last night. E.g this alu one for £750 seems like a good deal: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRDSA1/planet-x-london-road-sram-apex-1-disc-road-bike
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    PMark said:

Planetx have some deals on disc brake bikes when I was looking last night. E.g this alu one for £750 seems like a good deal: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRDSA1/planet-x-london-road-sram-apex-1-disc-road-bike

While my alu Giant Defy rides well, I'd like my next bike to be a step forward, so the plan was to use C2W to get a Scott Addict, or a Defy Advanced Pro, or similar. Besides, PX are not an approved dealers under my employer's C2W. Pre-tax interest free 12 monthly installments are very nice.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    If you need some wheels in the meantime..... ;) ...just sayin' :)
  • I'm not sure handbuilts are the answer at this price range. Let's say you need a new rim, £40+, then there is the rebuild cost which will very likely also include new spokes, £60 give or take. For £120 you can get some askiums or fulcrum 900s, both of which are fairly bulletproof.
    Bikeauthority.cc
    IG - bikeauthority.cc