Vitus Nucleus 27 VR spec changes, is it still worth considering?

After checking geometry and suitability as per my earlier post, I decided to buy the Vitus Nucleus 27 VR based on the various reviews of £500 budget Mountain Bikes.

The articles, although dated 2022 (inc BikeRadar), were in fact reviewing the earlier 2019 model which had different specs.

The main differences I can see are from:

Suntour XCR32 Boost 120mm to XCR32 Air LOR DS 120mm
Chainset SUNTOUR XCM to Samox
Shimano ALTUS (2x9) to Box Four 8 speed (1x8)
Tektro HD-M290 to HD-M275 or Clarks M2
Price increase to £599

With the new specs, would the Vitus Nucleus 27 VR still have achieved the best budget £500 bike?

My fault for not looking at dates and exact models. If I’m now close to spending £600, should I be looking at something else, or save money and buy a lesser bike, like the POLYGON Xtrada 5 for £450?

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited January 2022
    I'd say a normal update to a 1x drivetrain with an improved version of a two piece crankset and external bb rather than an older square taper type bb.

Brakes would be no better or worse than what was on there before performance wise, just different.

Probably the same with the forks but maybe the new version has more adjustability by the looks of the extra letters in the description.

Now changed to be in line with newer spec. components, keeping up with the competition and an increased price tag to match.

Pretty normal like most of the other brands and mtb's in that £500'ish entry level price bracket.

I guess being a C.R.C. own brand bike it's still amongst the best when it comes to value for money.
  • Dssr
    Dssr Posts: 13
    @oxoman I looked at the Fury. The forks are slightly better than those on the Vitus, but the review called them 'Lacklustre'. Whereas the Vitus reviews are positive about the less spec'd XCR32 forks. So a tad confusing.

@reaperactual Its the 8 speed that concerns me. I'm used to having a 3.43 ratio. On the Vitus the best I can get is 2.91. I'm unsure if I can add another chainset to the Box Four 8 if I need that extra bit.

Money is fairly tight, so - unusual for me - I'm really picking over things that the average person wouldn't be too concerned over. Plus I'll be buying two bikes in the £600 range. A lot of money for us at present, but getting out and enjoying ourselfs is more important then the bank balance - especially after what we've all gone through the past few years.

Although it could all be for nothing unless stock arrives !
  • reaperactual
    edited January 2022
    I agree that that Box 1x8 would be the weak point with regards spec list on the Vitus.

I don't really judge drivetrains on range or ratio figures but I can see a 40t big cog cassette on a 1x is poor, even though the Box and similar groupset's get good reviews otherwise.

There are a few similar, reasonably priced and really good wide range cassette groupset's (Advent X, 11-48, 10 speed for example) but those seem to be aimed at upgrading older 3 or 2x systems and never seen these fitted as a stock choice.

Your obviously doing your research into the nitty gritty details which is the right thing to do for ending up with a good package overall.

Unfortunately I suppose wanting brand new bikes in that highly competitive segment may have to come down to making the spec compromise that's going to effect your family rides the least. 🤔

• Dssr
    I thought I’d update my post. The 2022 Vitus Nucleus is now available; however, the upgrades are minor, and slightly down on the 2021 model:

Change of colour
    Tyres slightly downgraded
    Price gone up to £649 (existing 2021 model now £549.99)

I spoke with a guy in the CEO office at Halfords, and it looks like the Carrera Fury is out of play, he say’s there are no plans to re-stock.

So, with both Vitus 2021 / 2022 and the Fury out of the picture, all that’s left with decent forks in the £600 range is the Boardman MHT 8.6. I’m not sure about 29 wheels.

Was toying with the idea of buying a used Polygon Xtrada 5. Fitting a decent set of used air folks and upgrading the Deore rear derailleur to the Shadow+ for the clutch. Also, add a 180-front rotor. That would get me in the same spec for around £500.

I picked the wrong time to sell my hybrid and upgrade to a budget entry MTB. I should have took a better look at the market.
  • reaperactual
    edited March 2022
    F.w.i.w. The Boardman looks well specced for the money. 29ers are all the rage and have their plus points compared 27.5. Ready to go without the need for any short term upgrades.

Don't know much about the Xtrada to be honest.
    Maybe don't rule out the discounted 2021 model Nucleus then sometime in the future possibly a simple shifter, derailleur and cassette swap if the 1x8 Box drivetrain doesn't quite suit your needs? 🤔
  • reaperactual
    edited March 2022
    Maybe a bit late now.

Since my last post a Buddy has asked me to find him a new mtb in the £600 price range. 90% for commuting with the other 10% me dragging him out on some easy offroad trials.

He has a cheap hybrid and said "I only ever use the middle cog" on the triple.

Anyhow after a good look around I'm very likely going to pull the trigger (on his behalf) for the 2021 Nucleus VRS fitted with a 1x10 Deore drivetrain and Sunrace 11-46 cassette (with Boost, thru axle front end). Definitely worth the extra £60 over the VR version with a Box drivetrain.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-nucleus-27-vrs-mountain-bike-2021

• Dssr
    The irony. I'd still not decided, so last night I was looking at the VR which is now £539, and noticed the VRS is £599 with the 1x10. I ignored the VRS initially due to the price, but at £599 its a VR with the drivetrain I would have preferred. lol
  • reaperactual
    edited March 2022
    Exactly, I agree. My Buddy liked the grey VR but doesn't mind the burnt metallic red either. That drivetrain definately made it an easy decision.

He's confirmed today, I'm getting the cash tomorrow and going to order the VRS straight away from Wiggle to be delivered to me.

I'll be assembling it and going for a shakedown ride. I'll post some pics and an honest, impartial review based on a relatively short offroad ride.

Up to now with everything I've looked up and online reviews I think it's going to be a really decent purchase. Looking forward to taking it for a spin.
  • Dssr
    What confuses me about the reviews is that Alex Evans (Bikeradar) wrote a review of the 29 VRS back in May 2021 giving in 3/5 stating ‘Geometry compromises all aspects of performance; fork suffers from stiction; stiff-feeling ride’.

A year earlier, Tom Marvin (Bikeradar) reviewed the 29 VR giving it a 4.5/5 saying ‘geometry has the perfect mix of stability and agility’.

As far as I understand, the frame, front forks and geometry are the same for the VR and VRS and haven’t changed from 2020 to present. So, two opposing views of the same bike, despite the VR constantly taking one of the top spots in the majority of £500 shootouts.

I was about to order two VRS’s in the coming days; however, I keep hearing about bikes arriving from Chain Reaction / Wiggle with scratches, damage and buckled wheels which is slightly concerning.
  • reaperactual
    edited March 2022
    Reviews are reviews, I take those kind with a pinch of salt and don't listen too much.

Maybe the latest reviewer didn't get schmoozed enough, preferred something else more or just in a grumpy mood that day, I don't know.

Geo figures speak for themselves and they don't have top level forks with top level performance which is expected.

I ordered a Vitus (Sentier 29er) for another friend about two years ago and that was in perfect condition throughout, shifting, brakes, etc. were also spot on out of the box.

I've read the customer reviews on both websites and heard all the bad experiences mixed in with mostly zero complaints and happy customers.

I share your concerns, quite normal to be wary of any online purchase and mail order bikes. I will be checking everything closely with regards this delivery but am confident all should be fine. Maybe there will be the common derailleur or brake tweaks necessary.

I'm already thinking the seat post is going to be too long and need some chopping off based on most reviews. My Mate flaked on me today so ordering tomorrow now and suppose we'll see how it goes?
  • reaperactual
    My Buddy's 27.5 Vitus Nucleus VRS 2021 size: (M):-

• reaperactual
    edited March 2022
    Ordered at lunch time last Thursday and delivered yesterday. Three working days and bike was well packaged and not a mark or blemish anywhere.

Tyres had 35p.s.i. and added another 10 p.s.i. to the fork pressure so now at a base setting of 110.

Seat post length is fine and all good to ride. Re-centred the calipers but gears were spot on and didn't need to touch a thing.

Both wheels have a very slight buckle, not great but nothing too bad. Both tyres are seated properly but also seem to have a little wobble too. Came supplied with the Clarks brakes and they work fine.

All in all pretty happy and a good purchase, my Buddy will be really pleased I reckon.
  • Dssr
    edited March 2022
    I took delivery of the first one. Also in good order.

Wiggle and Chain Reaction quote a 'Shimano Deore M5100 170mm, 30t' chainset, then later in the spec sheet state a crank length of 175mm.

The Vitus website notes the same chainset, but with 32T, and also notes a crank length of 175mm.

Mine has a 32t 170mm crank.
  • reaperactual
    edited March 2022
    Glad you finally took the plunge. What do you think?

I believe this one is a 32t but not sure on crank length, I will double check.

On my own hardtail I went from a 30t, 11-42 to a 32t and 11-46 cassette (170mm cranks) and it is a perfect set up for what I do and where I ride. I think generally it should be absolutely fine for you also.

Are you happy with the choice? How are your wheels? How are your tyres? Did you get the Clarks or Tektro brakes?

Getting into the nitty gritty and some finer details but would prefer a full shift cable housing run but it's sortable if needed in future. The outer shift cable section near the seat tube is a tad long and sticks out.

Steering feels slightly tight and I might reset preload or, because it's new, see if it frees up a bit after a few miles. Same with the hubs, wheels don't free roll for long but thinking they'll free up a bit too. Are you finding those things are similar on your bike?
  • Dssr
    I concur on the shift cable sticking out, and the steering / hubs. I also have the Clarks M2 brakes. Wheels and tyres are fine as was all the paintwork. Wiggle acknowledged the spec error and confirmed it should be 32t, 170 crank.

Also like you, I had to adjust the brakes, the rear disc has a very slight warp that should bend out, I'll look at that today, otherwise it appears to ride okay.

The suspension is an issue which I was aware of. I only weigh 55 kilos, so setting the correct sag means a drop in air pressure to around 58 psi. At that pressure the forks don't return to their full extension. I might have to experiment increasing the pressure to raise the front whilst still having some suspension. Guess I'll have to eat more doughnuts.
  • reaperactual
    Thanks for the info. In comparison then I suppose they're all about the same with the little things.

Yes just confirmed 32t chainring and 170mm cranks.

Now you mention it rear rotor could do with a true as pad to rotor clearance is small compared to my Shimano's.

A bit disappointed with the slight wheel and also the tyre wobble but I'm being picky and my Buddy won't care in the slightest.

Forks not so much an issue this end as we're both around the 100kg range but they did seem to blow through a lot of travel easy just on hard bed in braking. Again being picky and putting the extra 10p.s.i. in helped so just need to mess around to get them right same as you.

Mainly thinking a great bike for the price with spec that's hard to beat, all for £600. Hopefully you feel the same way overall and are happy with the choice.

Yeah, eat some more doughnuts, heavier means more gravity to get you down the hills faster! 🍩😋😃