Replacing a triple chainring advice

I need to replace the big ring on my truvative 5 bolt 9 speed triple. I am aware of the BCD measurement. Is there anything else I need to be aware of apart from the number of teeth when looking for a new one ?

Comments

• womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Teeth, BCD, Speed is all you need. You may need to fashion something to hold the lock washer thingies in place if you don't have the correct tool.
  • 1964johnr
    1964johnr Posts: 179
    Thanks. Do I need to buy a triple specific outer ring or any ring with the 130 bcd and the same number of teeth ?
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    edited January 2022
    1964johnr said:

Thanks. Do I need to buy a triple specific outer ring or any ring with the 130 bcd and the same number of teeth ?

When I rebuilt my triple (52-42-30) I just bought the rings of those sizes, to be fair I used the old 30 and just replaced the outer two as the small one was ok.

To the best of my knowledge they are not triple specific, if it helps I just bought the rings without even contemplating if they should be triple specific and they work fine.

I would add there will be people with far better knowledge than myself but it worked for me.

Another avenue to try is a complete triple set up in your desired size. I bought one as a stop gap on my winter bike a few years back and it is still going strong. From memory it was circa £19.99 but they are what they are, a one piece use it and bin it when it wears out. Also wouldn't cut the mustard with people who are weight conscious!!

Edit. Bankrupt Bike Parts has quite a few triples going relativity cheap depending on the size of your rings.
  • 1964johnr
    1964johnr Posts: 179
    Thanks for the info, I will take a look.