Gravel bikes at trail centres

ognat
ognat Posts: 6
edited January 2022 in MTB general
I ride an Orange 5RS and a Sonder Camino Ti gravel bike. I have been looking for feedback from anyone who has ridden a gravel bike around the Altura trails at whinlatter, I have ridden some fairly bumpy stuff on the Sonder and wondered if it would be suitable for whinlatter as I won't have my 5 with me

Comments

• ognat
    Thanks Oxoman, I'll probably give it a go next month
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I too would not want to ride a gravel bike around some of the red trails I have ridden (nor some blues either!). But that is just me. I have however seen gravel bikes being ridden up gnarly trails that I was struggling with on my heavy 150mm travel full suss. But they were about 30 years younger than me and probably much better riders.

If you are a good enough rider, it doesn't matter what bike you ride. I have seen a guy hopping his drop-handled racer bike across the sea defences!
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Back in the day I used to ride rigid MTBs around LLandegla black trails. Not much difference to a gravel bike other than the handlebar/grip position. Just gives you a kicking.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Relatively new to MTB but have ridden my cx bike on quite a few mtb trails.
    Having spent the day at Whinlatter yesterday (on mtb), the blue and the southern loop of the Altura trail will be no problem at all on a gravel bike. The northern red loop is not something I'd try on gravel/cx. I can imagine a highly skilled rider could manage but for most mortals it will be quite a frustrating experience.

The southern red loop is a blue descent with a couple of slightly technical sections on the ascent. The northern loop is totally different and with a really good mix of terrain. Also much rockier. I loved it.
  • ognat

I too would not want to ride a gravel bike around some of the red trails I have ridden (nor some blues either!). But that is just me. I have however seen gravel bikes being ridden up gnarly trails that I was struggling with on my heavy 150mm travel full suss. But they were about 30 years younger than me and probably much better riders.

If you are a good enough rider, it doesn't matter what bike you ride. I have seen a guy hopping his drop-handled racer bike across the sea defences!

Hi Steve, how are you keeping?
    Not seen you since Taz's recovery ride.
    I had some time away from mountain biking and have been dabbling again, most things I've taken my Orange 5 down I've done on the gravel bike (it does have flat bars) albeit much slower and more carefully.
    All the best
    Tango
  • ognat
    Having watched a YouTube video of the North and South loops I plan on giving it a go second week of February unless it's icy in which case I'll be giving it a miss
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    edited January 2022
    Hi Ed, long time no see! Fri19 Apr - Sun 21 Apr 2013 at the Rising Sun near Cleeve Hill. Do you remember those fluorescent pink tee shirts we had printed up; we all looked a proper sight, and no mistake! Here is me with my tee shirt (+ Norco Sight 1) in the Rising Sun carpark.

For those that were not blessed to be there, or to know Taz, the recovery ride was to celebrate his survival from his fourth bout of cancer. He was given days to live, but survived. One of his other three bouts was also categorised as "fatal" but Taz was no ordinary mortal and once again he beat the odds.

Here is Taz and me on our hardtails in Sep'11. He was still on chemo (!) from his third bout of cancer at this point and was a bit slower than I expected (I didn't know about the cancer at that time). He had a bad off the day before. He didn't tell me until weeks later but that fall broke three ribs! That is when he told me about the cancer and chemo. Which is probably why he wasn't smiling and not standing up straight either. They breed those Royal Marines awfully tough! Gosh didn't I look young ten years ago! (Ohhhhhh, yes I did!). :)

I don't know whether you know this Ed, but Taz was killed in action on "one last Hurrah!" It was in Jun'17 sometime between 13th and the 22nd. I think of him regularly, difficult guy to forget. I wish I'd known him in his prime 6,'3", 18 stone, 9% body fat! He was an instructor in four different martial arts, among other special skills.

You are looking well, slimmer albeit a bit greyer (as am I). Good to hear from you. I have stuck with mountain biking, although I have switched to emtb.
  • I can't speak to the Whinlatter, but I ride my gravel bike to and from trail centres around Dumfries as part of the 7 stanes network. Climbs, fire roads, blues and greens are all fine, but I'm wary of picking up too many big hits on the reds. It's pretty fun being underbiked though.
  • ognat
    Hi Steve
    It was a fantastic weekend and the t shirt lasted about 8 years or more.
    It was a pleasure to meet Taz, he was indeed quite a character.
    I think the ebike is a great idea and I'm sure at some stage I'll have one, but for now I'm still messing about on Orange 5s

A couple of photos from this week's

Good to hear from you, keep on shredding those trails 💪😎😁
  • ognat

I can't speak to the Whinlatter, but I ride my gravel bike to and from trail centres around Dumfries as part of the 7 stanes network. Climbs, fire roads, blues and greens are all fine, but I'm wary of picking up too many big hits on the reds. It's pretty fun being underbiked though.

I have really enjoyed being 'underbiked' the look on people's faces is quite funny, almost like I'd brought a knife to a gun fight 😂